Estimated Reading Time: 1
The Federal High Court sitting in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, has restrained the Edo State Governor, Godwin Obaseki from participating in the governorship primary election organised by the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the state.
The court presided over by Justice E.A. Obile gave the order in pursuant to a motion exparte dated June 22 filed by one of the PDP governorship aspirants, Omoregie Ogbeide-Ihama.
The suit listed the defendants as Prince Uche Secondus, Emmanuel Ogidi, Chief Debekeme Boyleyefa, Senator James Manager, Ajibola Muraina, PDP, Godwin Obaseki and the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).
The court granted the prayers of the plaintiff restraining the PDP and its officials from allowing Obaseki, any member or non member other than those that purchased forms and were screened within the time stated in the timetable to participate in the primary election rescheduled for June 25th for the purpose of nominating or electing a candidate for the year 2020 governorship election in the state pending determination of the motion on notice.
The judge said: “That order of interim injunction is granted restraining INEC from further recognising or accepting Obaseki or any other person as candidate of the PDP other than those name of the plaintiff or that of other applicants, who have already purchased nomination forms and were screened within the time stipulated in the PDP’s timetable for the nomination process for the 2020 governorship election in Edo State”.
The court further gave orders for substituted service on the defendants and accelerated hearing of the matter.
While also granting an abridged time within which the defendants could enter appearance and file their respective counter affidavits, the court adjourned the matter to June 24.
- Breaking: Senator Buruji Kashamu dies of COVID-19
- “There was no prior notice of the procession” – Kaduna Police arrests those protesting killings of Southern Kaduna residents
- Northern governors condemn attacks on Southern Kaduna
- PDP NWC sets up electoral committee for Cross River State congress
- Bauchi Government defends appointment of SA on unmarried women
- Do not sack service chiefs, Governor Umahi advises Buhari
- 2023: Southern Nigeria should produce the next president says El-Rufai
- World Bank approves over $114 million for Nigerian states to fight COVID-19
- NMA reacts to reports of violence at doctors’ elections in Enugu
- COVID-19: UBER records $1.8 Billion loss