Estimated Reading Time: 1
There was chaos in the Kaduna State House of Assembly on Thursday, June 11, as a the lawmaker representing Makera constituency was attacked after he snatched the mace.
According to several reports, Liman grabbed the mace shortly after the announcement of a the new Deputy Speaker of the house, Isaac Auta Zankai.
The lawmaker’s action was in protest of the impeachment of the former deputy speaker Muktar Hazo, whom he walked into the house with.
The video released by Channels Tv shows Liman being pummeled as he attempted to hold on to the mace.
In his defense, Liman said 21 out of 34 lawmakers had agreed to impeach the Speaker, Yusuf Zailani, for dividing the members and failing to hold plenary. A claim which Zailani denied, citing the lockdown caused by the coronavirus pandemic as the reason plenary couldn’t hold.
Liman escaped from the incident with torn clothes.
Squabbles between lawmakers in Nigeria were common in the first few years after the country returned to democratic leadership in 1999.
There have been few reports about lawmakers exchanging blows recently.
- Osun State Government approves N30,000 minimum wage for workers
- 7, 194 police personnel deployed to Akwa Ibom as local government elections hold today
- New CBN report says consumers’ confidence in the economy dropped in Q3
- #EndSARS: Police inaugurate Panel to Assess Damages
- We demand the South East be given the opportunity to produce the president of Nigeria in 2023 – MASSOB
- #EndSARS: Ondo state Governor laments the absence of police officers
- IGP begs officers to return to duty posts after #EndSARS Protest
- Lagos State Government has announced a further relaxation of the curfew imposed
- Members of the Lagos judiciary panel visited a morgue at the military hospital Ikoyi- #EndSARS
- Breaking: Dead bodies discovered in Laminga Dam Jos – #EndSARS protest