Estimated Reading Time: 1
There was chaos in the Kaduna State House of Assembly on Thursday, June 11, as a the lawmaker representing Makera constituency was attacked after he snatched the mace.
According to several reports, Liman grabbed the mace shortly after the announcement of a the new Deputy Speaker of the house, Isaac Auta Zankai.
The lawmaker’s action was in protest of the impeachment of the former deputy speaker Muktar Hazo, whom he walked into the house with.
The video released by Channels Tv shows Liman being pummeled as he attempted to hold on to the mace.
In his defense, Liman said 21 out of 34 lawmakers had agreed to impeach the Speaker, Yusuf Zailani, for dividing the members and failing to hold plenary. A claim which Zailani denied, citing the lockdown caused by the coronavirus pandemic as the reason plenary couldn’t hold.
Liman escaped from the incident with torn clothes.
Squabbles between lawmakers in Nigeria were common in the first few years after the country returned to democratic leadership in 1999.
There have been few reports about lawmakers exchanging blows recently.
- Nigeria’s oil production drops to 1.3 million bpd – OPEC
- Federal Government approves National Gender Action Plan on Climate Change
- Sharia court in Kano sentences 60 year old Man to death by stoning for Rape
- Former US Ambassador to Nigeria, Walter Carrington, Dies at 90
- How are bandits getting weapons? Buhari queries Service Chiefs
- UNILAG Vice-Chancellor, Ogundipe responds to sack notice. Says it is a ‘figment of the imagination’
- Borno Governor appoints new Chief Of Staff
- Insecurity: Allow responsible citizens carry weapons, Benue Governor tells FG
- Transportation costs might increase as Lagos government introduces new taxes
- Film Censors Board issues 30-day notice on mandatory content registration