Estimated Reading Time: 1
The Federal High Court in Lagos has ordered the release of former Abia State Governor, Orji Uzor Kalu from prison.
Kalu’s counsel Lateef Fagbemi made the application on Tuesday, June 2, 2020.
Counsel to the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) did not oppose it and the judge Mohammed Liman, granted the application for Kalu’s release.
Mr Kalu along with the director of finance and accounts at the Abia State Government House during his tenure Ude Udeogu, were sentenced to jail in December 2019. He was accused of stealing and mismanaging funds belonging to the state between 1999 and 2007.
He was sentenced to 12 years in prison, although he pleaded not guilty to the charges.
- Just In: Governor Ben Ayade gives out 54 SUVs to LG chairmen, deputies
- Breaking: Emirates airlines resumes flight Operations in Nigeria
- Here’s why the Lagos state Government is cancelling Independence day Parade
- Oba of Benin has asked the PDP not to control Godwin Obaseki
- Former Governor Ayodele Fayose says PDP must retire Olabode George
- Buhari swears in four new permanent secretaries
- Nigeria’s Petroleum Industry Bill passes first reading
- Whistleblowing should include issues of Public Safety – Vice President Osinbajo tells FG
- NERC suspends electricity tariff increase for 14 days
- Trump, Biden exchange words in chaotic first presidential debate