Estimated Reading Time: 1
The Federal High Court in Lagos has ordered the release of former Abia State Governor, Orji Uzor Kalu from prison.
Kalu’s counsel Lateef Fagbemi made the application on Tuesday, June 2, 2020.
Counsel to the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) did not oppose it and the judge Mohammed Liman, granted the application for Kalu’s release.
Mr Kalu along with the director of finance and accounts at the Abia State Government House during his tenure Ude Udeogu, were sentenced to jail in December 2019. He was accused of stealing and mismanaging funds belonging to the state between 1999 and 2007.
He was sentenced to 12 years in prison, although he pleaded not guilty to the charges.
- ‘Sheikh Gumi, others should exercise restraint’ Nigerian Army cautions
- COVID-19 Testing: Nigerian Government threatens to ban flights from UAE, Netherlands
- COVID-19: Ogun State receives 50,000 vaccine doses
- Nigerian students can now work in the UK after schooling; here’s the latest directive
- You promised to free her, Leah Sharibu’s family writes Buhari
- Breaking: No fewer than 19 persons have been abducted in Kutunku village in Niger State
- “OBJ, faults and all” – Kingsley Moghalu says former President Obasanjo is Nigeria’s best president since 1999
- Minister Pauline Tallen’s niece has been kidnapped In Jos
- EFCC invites Ondo Assembly members over fraud allegations
- #IWD: Aisha Buhari laments school kidnapping