Estimated Reading Time: 1
Gov. AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq of Kwara has directed the slashing of the Right of Way (RoW) fee for telecommunications firms (Telecom) from N5,500 per linear metre to N1 per kilometre of fibre.
A linear meter is a standard unit of length, symbol m, which is equal to one metre in length.
This was made known on Sunday in Ilorin in a statement by the Commissioner for Communication, Alhaji Murtala Olanrewaju.
Olanrewaju, who said the fee was the second lowest in Nigeria after Kaduna, added that the reduction was with immediate effect.
He added that until now, telecom firms were paying N5,500 per linear metre as the fee for laying fibre cables in the state to strengthen their digital connections.
The Commissioner said Gov. AbdulRazaq had directed that the RoW fee be slashed to N1 only per kilometer.
This decision, he said was designed to deepen digital penetration in Kwara, jerk up the state’s ease of doing business ratings, and ease people’s access to the internet and other digital communication even in the remotest parts of the state.
“Apart from driving up investment in the sector, the long-term effects of this significant step such as strengthening access to digital communications and bringing more businesses to the hinterlands cannot be quantified,” the commissioner said.
NAN reports that Internet and broadband penetration had been known to have a direct correlation with economic development.
A study carried out by the International Telecommunications Union (ITU), on Africa reported that a 10 per cent broadband penetration would lead to a 2.5 per cent increment of Gross Domestic Product (GDP).
The National Economic Council (NEC), had recently resolved to encourage technological advancement as a way to fast track economic development in Nigeria.
The resolution was hinged on the need to create a favourable business environment for telecommunication companies and to further deepen broadband penetration for social and economic development.
- 7, 194 police personnel deployed to Akwa Ibom as local government elections hold today
- New CBN report says consumers’ confidence in the economy dropped in Q3
- #EndSARS: Police inaugurate Panel to Assess Damages
- We demand the South East be given the opportunity to produce the president of Nigeria in 2023 – MASSOB
- #EndSARS: Ondo state Governor laments the absence of police officers
- IGP begs officers to return to duty posts after #EndSARS Protest
- Lagos State Government has announced a further relaxation of the curfew imposed
- Members of the Lagos judiciary panel visited a morgue at the military hospital Ikoyi- #EndSARS
- Breaking: Dead bodies discovered in Laminga Dam Jos – #EndSARS protest
- Plateau State govt say N75 billion lost to looters during #EndSARS protest