Estimated Reading Time: 1
The Ebony state government says it will shut down most of its related social media – whatsApp – groups from June 2.
The disclosure is contained in a statement signed by Mr Uchenna Orji, Ebonyi Commissioner for Information and Orientation, in Abakaliki on Sunday.
He said that the state government-related WhatsApp groups were directed to be streamlined for ease of information dissemination and management.
“All those who opened WhatsApp accounts for propagating government programmes, particularly those that have top government functionaries, are to attend an important meeting.
“The meeting is on June 1, by 11am at the Secretary to the State Government’s (SSG) conference hall,” he said.
Gov. David Umahi had consistently condemned the usage of the social media by some individuals and groups to castigate people and cause disaffection among the public.
The governor recently warned government officials to stop responding to criticisms in his defence on the social media especially on state’s former SSG, Prof. Bernard Odoh, whom he said was ‘still a brother and friend’.
“Those who use the social media to bring others down will remain down while those they intend to bring down will rise above them,” he had admonished.
- House of Reps endorse Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, for World Trade Organisation DG
- Nigerian Army has approved new postings and appointments of 37 generals and five colonels
- FG Kicks off 774,000 Jobs programme suspended by the national assembly
- Senate passes bill prescribing life imprisonment for kidnappers – Removes gender restrictions, says men or women can be raped
- Governor Okowa, wife, daughter test negative for COVID-19
- Breaking: Bayelsa Governor Douye Diri wins at Supreme Court against Timi Alaibe
- Nigerian Government scrambles for oxygen as COVID-19 deaths rise
- Supreme Court affirms virtual court hearing
- Lagos asks striking doctors to resume work
- Nigeria’s Dapo Olorunyomi, honoured with the International Press Freedom award