Estimated Reading Time: 1
Dailytrust is reporting that the Edo State governor Mr Godwin Obaseki arrived at the presidential villa on Monday, 1 June, 2020 to meet with President Muhammadu Buhari as the state prepares to go to the polls in September.
The visit is believed to be aimed at seeking the president’s intervention in the political conflict between Obaseki and the National Chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Adams Oshiomhole.
The rift between Obaseki and his predecessor made headlines in 2019 as both men fought for control over the party affairs in the state.
The feud between the Obaseki and Oshiomhole has polarised the party in Edo State. Last Tuesday, the faction loyal to Oshiomhole endorsed Pastor Osagie Ize-Iyamu, as its consensus candidate for the June 22 governorship primary election of the party. Ize-Iyamu, widely seen as the preferred candidate of Oshiomhole, will now slug it out with Obaseki at the primary.
He was the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP)’s candidate in the 2016 gubernatorial election and only returned to APC in December, 2019. However, some governors and their trusted allies said whether using direct or indirect primary mode to elect a candidate, they will ensure Obaseki picks the APC ticket and win the September governorship election.
Meanwhile, several governors in the APC are holding a meeting with the Oshiomhole in the party secretariat to try to mend fences between the duo.
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) today, announced that the Edo governorship election will hold on September 19, 2020.
- Buhari’s pigeons refused to fly at armed forces remembrance celebration
- Inflation rate hits 15.75% in December– highest in 39 months
- Cheta Nwanze: Remembrance day, the Nigerian Army has a murderous reputation
- Breaking: Former Bauchi lawmaker kidnapped
- 23 deaths and 1,479 new cases reported in one day as COVID-19 pandemic sweeps 25 Nigerian states
- LASU college of medicine shuts hostel after COVID-19 outbreak among students
- COVID-19: Nigeria is not considering another lockdown – FG
- Oyo Amotekun dismisses officer for killing 23-yr-old motorcyclist
- Former President Obasanjo says the ranks of Nigeria’s leadership is depleted – Obasanjo
- Court grants bail to soldier who criticised Buratai and Buhari’s handling of the Boko Haram crisis