Estimated Reading Time: 1
Dailytrust is reporting that the Edo State governor Mr Godwin Obaseki arrived at the presidential villa on Monday, 1 June, 2020 to meet with President Muhammadu Buhari as the state prepares to go to the polls in September.
The visit is believed to be aimed at seeking the president’s intervention in the political conflict between Obaseki and the National Chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Adams Oshiomhole.
The rift between Obaseki and his predecessor made headlines in 2019 as both men fought for control over the party affairs in the state.
The feud between the Obaseki and Oshiomhole has polarised the party in Edo State. Last Tuesday, the faction loyal to Oshiomhole endorsed Pastor Osagie Ize-Iyamu, as its consensus candidate for the June 22 governorship primary election of the party. Ize-Iyamu, widely seen as the preferred candidate of Oshiomhole, will now slug it out with Obaseki at the primary.
He was the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP)’s candidate in the 2016 gubernatorial election and only returned to APC in December, 2019. However, some governors and their trusted allies said whether using direct or indirect primary mode to elect a candidate, they will ensure Obaseki picks the APC ticket and win the September governorship election.
Meanwhile, several governors in the APC are holding a meeting with the Oshiomhole in the party secretariat to try to mend fences between the duo.
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) today, announced that the Edo governorship election will hold on September 19, 2020.
- NFF cancels 2019/2020 league season
- Just In: Ibrahim Magu asks IGP for bail
- NEMA warns of flood in 102 local government areas in Nigeria
- “Nigeria’s crude oil production quota has been reduced” – Read Buhari’s complete speech at signing of revised 2020 Appropriation Bill
- Ondo Chief Justice rejects House of Assembly’s move to impeach deputy Governor
- Minister, Godswill Akpabio denies collecting N500m NDDC projects
- Kiki Osinbajo responds to allegations of N800m property ownership
- Breaking: APC Chairman resigns in Ondo, joins PDP
- Buhari appoints Mohammed Umar as acting chairman of the EFCC
- President Buhari signs revised N10.8trn 2020 budget into law