Estimated Reading Time: 1
The People’s Democratic Party, PDP, has recoded landslide victory in the just concluded Local Government Councils elections held in Benue State, North Central Nigeria.
In an election that witnessed the lowest turnout with five political parties in contest, the People’s Democratic Party swept all the Chairmanship positions in the 23 Local Government Councils in the state.
According to Mr. Loko, the PDP also won all the Councillorship seats in the 276 council wards that make up the state.
Announcing the results of the elections, the Chairman of Benue State Independent Electoral Commission (BESIEC), Mr. Tersoo Loko described the exercise as “the freest, most credible and most transparent of its kind ever held in the state”.
According to him, the election did not witness any incidents of ballot snatching and other forms of electoral violence associated with previous elections in the state.
At least, 2 Journalists, Asawa Joseph and the General Manager of AIT Jos, Plateau State, Mr. Steve Ayua also won the Chairmanship race in Ushongo and Ukum Local Government Councils.
Among the participating political parties in the council polls were the All Progressives Grand Alliance, APGA, African Action Congress, AAC, Labour Party, LP, Social Democratic Party, SDP and the Peoples Democratic Party PDP.
The elected chairmen and Councilors according to the Commission’s Chairman, would be presented their certificates of return on Monday 1st June 2020 at the BESIEC’s headquarters.
- Kwara Governor invites EFCC to probe Kwara LG funds
- Over 200 Lagos doctors have been infected with COVID-19 – Medical Guild
- Decapitated, dismembered body of Gokada CEO found in NYC apartment
- Nigeria’s first female combat helicopter pilot has died
- Enugu airport will reopen August 30
- Goodluck Jonathan appointed ECOWAS apecial envoy to Mali
- Lagos lawmakers directed to undergo COVID-19 test
- American woman rescued after being held by Nigerian facebook lover for more than a year
- House propose 5-year ban from partisan politics for ex-electoral officials
- National Assembly will engage security agencies to prevent killings in Kaduna – Lawan