Estimated Reading Time: 1
The People’s Democratic Party, PDP, has recoded landslide victory in the just concluded Local Government Councils elections held in Benue State, North Central Nigeria.
In an election that witnessed the lowest turnout with five political parties in contest, the People’s Democratic Party swept all the Chairmanship positions in the 23 Local Government Councils in the state.
According to Mr. Loko, the PDP also won all the Councillorship seats in the 276 council wards that make up the state.
Announcing the results of the elections, the Chairman of Benue State Independent Electoral Commission (BESIEC), Mr. Tersoo Loko described the exercise as “the freest, most credible and most transparent of its kind ever held in the state”.
According to him, the election did not witness any incidents of ballot snatching and other forms of electoral violence associated with previous elections in the state.
At least, 2 Journalists, Asawa Joseph and the General Manager of AIT Jos, Plateau State, Mr. Steve Ayua also won the Chairmanship race in Ushongo and Ukum Local Government Councils.
Among the participating political parties in the council polls were the All Progressives Grand Alliance, APGA, African Action Congress, AAC, Labour Party, LP, Social Democratic Party, SDP and the Peoples Democratic Party PDP.
The elected chairmen and Councilors according to the Commission’s Chairman, would be presented their certificates of return on Monday 1st June 2020 at the BESIEC’s headquarters.
- Nigeria declares public holiday for Eid-El-Maulud Celebration
- Buhari re-appoints INEC Chairman, Mahmood Yakubu for another 5-year-term
- We must regulate social media – Nigerian govt insists making reference to #EndSARS protests
- 2 years after, judge throws out case against 57 Lagos men accused of homosexuality
- #EndSARS Protest: Finding a Pathway to Sustainable Peace and Development
- Supreme Court struck out a suit over disputed Soku oilfield – here’s why
- Breaking: Lagos govt approves reopening of markets across the state
- Fredrick Nwabufo: Does the FCT have a minister?
- Breaking: Long queues of petrol return to filling stations in Abuja
- Breaking: Hoodlums are currently looting the NYSC office in Abuja