Estimated Reading Time: 1
The Kogi State Governorship Election Petition Tribunal sitting in Abuja has dismissed the petition filed by Natasha Akpoti, the candidate of the Social Democratic Party (SDP) and her party against Governor Yahaya Bello.
A three-man panel of judges led by Justice Kashim Kaigama dismissed the suit in a unanimous judgment on Monday.
The petitioners had filed the suit to challenge the victory of Governor Yahaya Bello of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in the November 16, 2019 governorship election in Kogi.
Delivering the lead judgement, Justice Kaigama held that the petition failed woefully as the testimonies given by the petitioners’ witnesses amounted to hearsay, doubtful, illogical, and of no probative value.
The Tribunal, however, awarded a cost of N600,000 to be paid by the petitioners to the three respondents.
They include the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), the APC, and Governor Bello.
To continue telling under-reported stories, we need your support for the work we do, donate to https://paystack.com/paynewswirengr
Also, kindly donate to the work we do using this interim PAYPAL ID https://www.paypal.me/NewsWireNGR.
- Federal Government set to release guidelines on school reopening
- Three proposed COVID-19 herbal cures identified for further investigation – FG
- Ekiti Assembly passes Tourism, Hospitality Licensing and Regulation Bill
- FG to amend National Endowment for the Arts Act
- Trading resumes in NSE after Eid-el-Fitr celebration with 0.07% growth
- Radio stations fined for violations against the Nigerian Broadcasting code
- Trump threatens to ‘close down’ social media after Twitter labelled two of his tweets “unsubstantiated”
- Breaking: In Edo State, Ize-Iyamu collects APC governorship form, and Governor Obaseki speaks
- “We dried our tears” – 17-year-old girl who escaped Boko Haram after being abducted and held in captivity for four years described life in the Sambisa forest
- Over 2000 critically endangered vultures dead through deliberate pesticide poisoning