Estimated Reading Time: 1
The Director-General, Nigeria Centre for Disease Control, Chikwe Ihekweazu has expressed dissatisfaction with the level of compliance with the lockdown relaxation guidelines by banks in Lagos and Abuja.
At the briefing of the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19, he said initial reports on compliance with the guidelines on the implementation of the phased and gradual easing of the lockdown in Abuja, Lagos and Ogun States as directed by President Muhammadu Buhari, which took effect yesterday were not too pleasing across the country.
He expressed concern that corporate organisations, especially banks, flouted the NCDC’s guideline for infection prevention and control.
“When we say take responsibility this time, yes we’re addressing individuals, but we really needed to address corporate Nigeria. One of the biggest groups that we have allowed to restart business today (Monday) were banks. When you limit the number of branches that open, everybody goes to the one branch that is open; that becomes counter-productive.” He said.
“We can produce all the guidelines in the world, but if organisations are not going to come up and support the implementation of these measures and help us manage the risks and focus on a risk-based approach, then our efforts might amount to little or nothing.”
The Director says if there is an explosion of cases of coronavirus infections, it will be left with no choice but to ask all Nigerians to go back to their homes.
To continue telling under-reported stories, we need your support for the work we do, by donating to https://paystack.com/pay
- “Discontinue the street protests” – Read Muhammadu Buhari’s speech
- Breaking: Edo state govt reviews 24-hour curfew earlier imposed on the state
- US Govt wants the prosecution of all those involved in killings of #EndSARS protesters
- “We have received information alleging crimes” – ICC on #EndSARS protests in Nigeria
- We give you 24 hours to return the staff of office of the Oba of Lagos OR…… – Lagos ruling house declares
- Breaking: Finally, Buhari to address Nigerians after #LekkiMassacre and #EndSARS
- The Nigerian army says videos of Lekki tollgate shooting are photoshopped and fake
- NSA says Buhari is to provide a solution to nationwide crisis
- It was a system glitch – Instagram apologizes for censoring #EndSARS posts
- Just In: Attempted Jailbreak foiled at Ikoyi Prison