Estimated Reading Time: 1
Following the 14-day extension of lockdown in three States of the Federation, the Chairman of the IIkorodu Branch of the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA), Mr Bayo Akinlade, on Tuesday, announced payment of N5000 to each member.
Akinlade made the announcement in a notice sent to lawyers, and obtained by the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN).
NAN reports that President Muhammadu Buhari in a nationwide broadcast on Monday, extended the lockdown in Lagos, Ogun and the Federal Capital Territory, by to 14 days.
The extension followed a rise in the spread of the virus across some states of the federation
In the broadcast, the president said that the extension would become effective, from 11.59 p.m. on Monday, April 13.
While assuring Nigerians that government was doing all in its power to combat the spread of the virus, he urged citizens to abide by all safety rules, regulations and restrictions as stipulated by government.
Reacting to the extension, Akinlade in a notice on Tuesday, informed all financial members of the branch, that N5,000 will be made available as assistance to members during the extension.
“In light of the extension of the lockdown by the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria for another 14 days, the Branch leadership will make the following provisions for members:
“All due paying members will receive the sum of N5,000 each! Those who have already collected 20 per cent of their branch dues will have the amount deducted from the N5,000 and the balance given to them, and loans will still be available to those who require it .
“We call on those who have more than enough to spare, to make donations to our welfare scheme.
“Those who do not require this assistance can forfeit same and consider it as their donation to the branch welfare purse for COVID 19.
“We pray that this pandemic becomes a thing of the past ,” he said
- No one has the right to expel any Nigerian from any part of the country – Arewa group dare Ondo Governor
- Just In: “We want justice for Seriki Fulani” – Miyetti Allah calls for Sunday Igboho’s arrest
- Afenifere wants ACF to “call their criminals to order” – warn that Yoruba would not want a repeat of the incident of 1966
- Miyetti Allah Cattle breeders association say kidnapping is a National problem
- Arewa Consultative Forum wants govt to act swiftly and stop the attacks on Fulani communities in the south west
- Fredrick Nwabufo: Buhari, now is time to speak to the Fulani youths
- Abia Governor dissolves state executive council
- Ignoring Governor Ayade’s instructions, CRUTECH insists on ‘no fee, no exams’
- American Legendary Talk-Show host; Larry King has died of COVID-19
- COVID-19: Kano Governor says closing down schools will be a ‘tragedy’