Estimated Reading Time: 1
Facebook is expanding its Coronavirus Information Center to 17 more countries in sub-Saharan Africa. The Information Centers form part of Facebook’s effort to help the global fight against COVID-19 by providing people with the latest news and information from trusted health authorities as well as resources and tips to stay healthy and support their family and community.
The Coronavirus (COVID-19) Information Center is featured at the top of News Feed, that provides a central place for people to keep informed about the Coronavirus. It includes real-time updates from national health authorities and global organisations such as the World Health Organization, as well as helpful articles, videos and posts about social distancing and preventing the spread of COVID-19.
Facebook users can opt in to follow the center to get notifications and see updates in their News Feed from official government health authorities.
The center has already launched in South Africa, it will now be expanded to the following new sub – Saharan African markets:
- Burkina Faso
- Cape Verde
- Côte d’Ivoire
- The Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC)
Facebook’s Head of Public Policy, Africa, Kojo Boakye comments about the expansion; “We’ve built the information centers, in collaboration with national health partners, to ensure that people can get access to information from trusted health sources.
The launch of the COVID-19 Information Center on Facebook in more than 17 countries across sub-Saharan Africa aligns with our commitment to making accurate, timely information about the pandemic accessible to all communities.”
- Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo flags off N5,000 cash transfer to low-income earners in urban areas
- Arewa Youth Leader says Northern Nigeria is the most backward region despite having the president
- Borno Governor asks Federal Character Commission for more employment slots
- Buhari appoints Nigeria’s first female ambassador to the United States
- Motorcycle riders are working as spies for kidnappers – Amotekun says
- Where will herdsmen graze if they leave the forest reserves? – Miiyetti Allah queries Akeredolu’s vacation order
- Kukah gets international recognition with appointment by Pope Francis
- Buhari in closed door meeting with President of Benin Republic
- Just in: 3 dead as petrol tanker explodes in Ogun State
- Nigeria is more corrupt today than it was in the past – Pat Utomi