Estimated Reading Time: 1
Nyesom Wike, governor of Rivers, says while the federal government approved N10 billion for Lagos, his state is yet to receive any monetary support from the federal government for the fight against coronavirus.
The Government made the statements in a nationwide broadcast to the people of the state shared across twitter and facebook channels of the state government and his personal page.
Writing via his Twitter handle, Wike accused the government of politicising efforts to fight the disease.
“While Lagos State received a grant of N10billion as a commercial hub, Rivers State as the nation’s oil and gas hub that produces a greater percentage of the nation’s wealth has not received any support from the Federal Government,” he wrote.
While Rivers is being controlled by the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Lagos, is under the All Progressives Congress (APC).
“One wonders why Federal Government should single out a state out of 36 States to give support. Does it mean that support will come when a State has a record of over 50 infected persons before it gets support.
“No state should be seen as more important than any other state. This is a Federal Republic. No state is superior to others.”
Lagos has so far recorded 120 cases of the coronavirus while Rivers has one case.
But the governor asked if the federal government is waiting for a state to have more than 50 cases before rendering support.
- Kwara cancels pension to ex-governors signed by Saraki in 2011
- Centre for Liberty demands immediate restoration of access to People‘s Gazette website
- Court orders forfeiture of millions found in Ex-Zamfara State account
- Primary school teachers in Bayelsa threaten strike
- Nollywood actor, Ernest Asuzu has died
- State Capture: Nigeria’s political parties and their associates are malicious – Cheta Nwanze
- Nigeria earned N1.53Trillion from VAT In 2020 – NBS report
- Breaking: Nigerian telecommunication networks block access to Peoples Gazette Website
- Femi Adesina says Buhari felt it was the best time to rejig the security system in the country
- In Bauchi, Hisbah ‘Police’ arrests ‘Organizers’ of sex party