Estimated Reading Time: 1
The Nigerian Army has announced the redeployment and appointments of some of its senior officers.
Among those affected in the massive shake-up was the Theatre Commander of Operation Lafiya Dole, Major General Olusegun Adeniyi.
Adeniyi was replaced by Major General Faruk Yahaya who would serve as the eighth Theatre Commander of the operation.
The Director of Army Public Relations, Colonel Sagir Musa, confirmed this in a statement on Tuesday.
He explained that the Chief of Army Staff Lieutenant General Tukur Buratai approved the postings as a routine exercise intended to strengthen the system for greater professional effectiveness and efficiency.
Over 20 other generals and a colonel were also affected in the exercise.
The redeployment comes amid the outrage triggered by a viral video in which Adeniyi decried an attack that inflicted heavy casualty on the troops and left some of their vehicles in a state of disrepair.
The former theatre commander explained the difficult situation under which troops were operating while pledging loyalty to the Nigerian Armed Forces.
It is, however, unclear if his redeployment has anything to do with the attack and the said video.
- COVID-19: Ebonyi orders testing and decontamination for budget ministries
- Nigerian Lawmakers reject castration as punishment for rapists
- Just In: Police arrests 25-year-old Wasiu Bankole for allegedly raping a 70-year-old woman
- Innovation in Times of Crisis: How a Nigerian Inventor is taking the lead
- Senate queries CBN over ‘missing’ $3.3 billion
- Nassarawa to get N8.1bn for the construction of multipurpose dam from FG
- Nigerian Airforce records first all-female crew on operational ISR mission
- Civil Society groups in Nigeria call for a state of emergency on SGBV in Nigeria.
- Lagos State Government to reverse Land Use Charge
- Female bodies and the illusion of safe spaces in Nigeria