Estimated Reading Time: 1
Suspected armed bandits have killed at least eight people in an attack on Malele community in Dansadau district in Maru local government area of Zamfara state, Daily Trust has gathered.
Residents said the gunmen invaded the village, located 10 kilometres west of Dansadau town, firing shots at people indiscriminately, according to DailyTrust Newspaper reports.
However, residents of the community who got wind of the attack responded swiftly and were able to contain the attackers from penetrating the community.
“There was a heavy fighting between residents of the community and the attackers. Even those killed by the bandits were those trying to escape the carnage because they had no courage to confront the assailants. The armed men captured herds of cows and then fled,” a resident Yau Muhammad said.
The armed men also attacked Babban Kwari in the district and killed about 5 people. They torched about 17 motorbikes, a number of trucks, shops and residential houses.
They had earlier intercepted a truck heading to Gusau from Dansadau town killing the driver and two other people on board.
The injured are receiving treatment in a medical facility in Dansadau town.
However, the State Commissioner for Security and Home Affairs, Alhaji Abubakar Dauran gave the number of those killed as seven. He said troops had quickly responded to the attacks and are currently conducting operations in the area.
The Commissioner, who blamed the renewed attacks on bandits that crossed over to Zamfara from the neighbouring Kaduna and Niger states, said the situation would be brought under control.
- Breaking: Coronavirus cases in Nigeria exceeds 10,000
- “Your appointments will ruin Nigeria”, – Col Umar warns Buhari in open letter
- “We have lost a great member” Redeemed Church Demands #JUSTICE4UWA
- Breaking: Churches to reopen next week in A/Ibom
- Return to negotiation or…, Ngige warns ASUU
- Amnesty International says Nigeria gov’ts response to rape continues to be woefully inadequate
- Raped & left for dead: Edo Governor wants justice for 22-yr-old student of University of Benin
- Buhari’s refusal to address the country on May 29 is because he’s weighed down with failure – PDP
- $5.513bn loan: SERAP wants Buhari to reveal spending details of loans by his government since 2015
- PDP records landslide victory in Benue LGA elections