Estimated Reading Time: 1
Suspected armed bandits have killed at least eight people in an attack on Malele community in Dansadau district in Maru local government area of Zamfara state, Daily Trust has gathered.
Residents said the gunmen invaded the village, located 10 kilometres west of Dansadau town, firing shots at people indiscriminately, according to DailyTrust Newspaper reports.
However, residents of the community who got wind of the attack responded swiftly and were able to contain the attackers from penetrating the community.
“There was a heavy fighting between residents of the community and the attackers. Even those killed by the bandits were those trying to escape the carnage because they had no courage to confront the assailants. The armed men captured herds of cows and then fled,” a resident Yau Muhammad said.
The armed men also attacked Babban Kwari in the district and killed about 5 people. They torched about 17 motorbikes, a number of trucks, shops and residential houses.
They had earlier intercepted a truck heading to Gusau from Dansadau town killing the driver and two other people on board.
The injured are receiving treatment in a medical facility in Dansadau town.
However, the State Commissioner for Security and Home Affairs, Alhaji Abubakar Dauran gave the number of those killed as seven. He said troops had quickly responded to the attacks and are currently conducting operations in the area.
The Commissioner, who blamed the renewed attacks on bandits that crossed over to Zamfara from the neighbouring Kaduna and Niger states, said the situation would be brought under control.
- APC Suspension: ‘A joke taken too far’ says Fayemi
- Auschwitz museum director begs Buhari for 13 year old boy jailed for blasphemy
- Tiv/Jukun conflict: Governor Ishaku urges fleeing communities to return home
- Obaseki says it will be immoral to return to APC, after meeting with Buhari
- Fact Check: Did Obasanjo really inherit $3 billion in foreign reserves?
- Lagos, Oyo, Kogi, Osun and Ekiti top list of states technically insolvent – Report
- APC Suspends Governor Kayode Fayemi for anti-party activities
- Insecurity: We should speak the truth about things we haven’t gotten right says Gbajabiamila
- The Nigerian Navy launches first purpose built hydrographic survey vessel
- INVESTIGATION: Ticketing Corruption by Railway Staff, Soldiers, Policemen Derailing Abuja-Kaduna Rail Project #TheTrainHasDerailed