Estimated Reading Time: 1
The governor of Kano State, Dr. Abdullahi Umar Ganduje OFR, is set to name a new emir for Kano emirate after deposing Muhammadu Sansui II.
Daily Trust reliably gathered that the governor will announce the new emir before the close of work today.
According to a top security officer, who attended an emergency security meeting summoned by the governor, the new emir will emerge today.
The state Commissioner of Information, Malam Muhammad Garba, also confirmed that the new emir would be announced today.
“The new emir will emerge today, as the governor is ready to announce his name in the next one hour,” he said.
The Secretary to the State Government, Alhaji Usman Alhaji, in a statement on Monday wrote,“This removal is made after due consultation with the relevant stakeholders and in compliance with Part 3 section 13 of the Kano State Emirate law 2019 and other reasons stated above.
“The removal was reached to safeguard the sanctity, culture, tradition, religion and prestige of the Kano Emirate built over a thousand years.”
Sanusi ascended the throne in 2014, following the death of his granduncle Ado Bayero. His grandfather Muhammadu Sanusi I reigned from 1953 to 1963, when he was deposed by Premier Ahmadu Bello. His father Aminu Sanusi was Ciroma of Kano.
Prior to his ascension, Sanusi was an economist and banker. He served as the Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria from 2009 to 2014, when he was suspended by President Goodluck Jonathan after raising the alarm on the $20bn alleged to be missing.
- Former Vice Chairman of APC, Inuwa Abdulkadir, Dead
- Just In: Ondo State Secretary to Government, Ifedayo Abegunde, resigns
- Negotiating with bandits is the best option for peace – Zamfara Governor
- Doctors in Cross River on strike over undeclared COVID-19 cases
- ‘We had no plan to bar Oyo deputy governor from fidau prayer’ – Ajimobi’s family
- “APC Is Irresponsible, Reckless” – PDP kicks against ruling party linking members to fraudstar Hushpuppi
- Just In: Benue State University DVC dies of Covid-19
- Just In: Boat mishap in Benue River, Scores killed
- Former GM of LASIMRA, Jide Odekunle is dead
- NLC suspends week long strike in Cross River