Estimated Reading Time: 2
The Plateau State Commissioner for Health, Dr Nimkong Ndam, says 43 persons have been quarantined in the Wase Local Government Area of the state for investigations to forestall the spread of Coronavirus (COVID-19) in the state.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the 43 persons were those, who had contact with four Chinese miners, who recently returned to the state from China en-route Addis Ababa.
The commissioner stated this during a press briefing on Sunday in Jos, saying the isolation was for a period of 14 days, to check if they would manifest symptoms of the virus.
He said Governor Simon Lalong was informed by the Nigerian Immigration Services of three Chinese nationals, who arrived in Nigeria and were heading to Jos, which led to the setting up of a team comprising health officials and security agencies to monitor them.
“One Chinese national, arrived on Tuesday, 25, 2020 while the three others arrived on Wednesday. They came from China through Addis Ababa Airport to Abuja airport, where they were screened by health officials,” he said.
He said the Chinese, who arrived on Tuesday, is the leader of the mining team in Wase town while the other two live in Bakin Kaya, a mining site outside Wase town.
He explained that the leader had been offering social services of water supply to members of the community, where he resides but was asked to suspend the services pending investigations, saying a total of 25 persons who had contact with him had been isolated.
“The other three Chinese live in a compound with 13 Nigerians, who also have been isolated pending investigations, making a total of 18 persons isolated in Bakin Kaya,” he said.
The commissioner said the travel documents of the Chinese persons were valid, saying the state had isolation units in the Jos University Teaching Hospital and the Plateau Specialist Hospitals in the case of an outbreak of the disease in the state.
He said the Ministry was working with the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control, for the supply of commodities and other support in the case the suspects turned positive of the virus.
He urged Plateau residents to remain calm and go about their normal activities, saying there was no coronavirus in the state.
Ndam said the state health officials and World Health Organization officials, were enlightening members of Wase community on preventive measures and symptoms of the disease.
NAN reports that Nigeria confirmed case of COVID-19 was reported on Friday, February 27 of an Italian, who works for a vendor that provides services to the Lafarge Cement Factory in Ewekoro in Ogun State.
The information contained in this post is for general information purposes only. The information is provided by Coronavirus: 43 persons quarantined in Plateau for investigation and while we endeavour to keep the information up to date and correct, we make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability or availability with respect to the website or the information, products, services, or related graphics contained on the post for any purpose.
- Senate says Nigeria needs N400Billion annually for road maintenance
- Former Governor, Donald Duke says insurgents get their weapons from security operatives
- US President-elect Joe Biden announces all-female senior press team
- PDP Condemns the beheading of farmers in Zabarmari, Borno state by Boko Haram terrorists
- Here’s why Nigerians are to pay N4,000 monthly – Presidency
- Mai Mala Buni, Governor of Yobe, spends at least three days in his state
- Update: 110 civilians were killed by Boko Haram in the attack on a rice field in Borno State
- I’ve realized my mistakes: – Senator representing Borno, Ali Ndume, now knows the value of Ex-President Godluck Jonathan
- Breaking: Nigeria’s national electricity grid has collapsed
- Robbers attacked Ogun church, beat members to stupor, and kidnapped