Estimated Reading Time: <1
Former President Goodluck Jonathan on Friday congratulated the newly sworn in Governor of Bayelsa State, Douye Diri.
Jonathan said Diri of the Peoples Democratic Party would live up to the people’s expectations.
The Supreme Court yesterday (Thursday) sacked the All Progressives Congress governor-elect in Bayelsa State, David Lyon, and his running mate, Biobarakuma Degi-Eremienyo, and pronounced the Peoples Democratic Party candidates, Douye Diri, and his running mate, Lawrence Ewrujakpor, as the winners of the election held in the state.
The apex court had found irregularities in the credentials of the ex-APC deputy governor-elect in Bayelsa State, Degi-Eremienyo, and annulled the joint ticket of both Lyon and Degi-Eremienyo.
The apex court then ordered INEC to issue fresh certificates to the candidates of the party with the next highest votes and with the required constitutional spread of votes in the results of the election, which is the PDP’s Diri and his deputy governor-elect, Lawrence Ewrudjakpo.
The Independent National Electoral Commission on Friday morning had issued a Certificate of Return to Diri in compliance with the verdict of the Supreme Court.
CONGRATULATORY MESSAGE TO HIS EXCELLENCY SENATOR DOUYE DIRI I congratulate His Excellency, Senator Douye Diri who was sworn in today as the 5th Civilian Governor of Bayelsa State, in compliance with the Supreme court verdict of yesterday, 13th February 2020.
You have worked with me before as a commissioner, so I am without doubt that you will live up to the expectations of our people.
- NCDC confirms 14 new COVID-19 cases in Nigeria
- COVID-19: Enahoro, Ali Get Presidential Pardon… 2,600 Inmates Freed
- Pharmacist Arrested For Raping A 12 Year Old Boy
- Court ask Naira Marley to shoot a video against the spread of COVID-19 pandemic – The Singer had said he didn’t believe in the virus
- COVID-19: US Government repatriates 997 Citizens from Nigeria
- Just In: Lagos discharges seven COVID-19 patients
- Breaking: Nigeria’s Buhari grants presidential pardon, clemency to prison inmates over COVID-19
- Coronavirus may be “reactivating” in people who have been cured of the illness, according to Korea’s Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- 90 Percent Of COVID-19 Patients Recover Without Medical Intervention – NCDC Boss
- “Inmates Will Die Like Chickens if Coronavirus Gets into Prison in Nigeria” — Lamboginny