Estimated Reading Time: <1
The candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party in the November 2019 governorship, Douye Diri, has been sworn in as the Governor of Bayelsa State.
He was sworn in by the state Chief Judge, Justice Kate, who administered the oaths of office and allegiance on Diri in the Government House, Yenagoa, the state capital.
The state deputy governor-elect, Senator Lawrence Ewhrudjakpo, also sworn in, took his oaths of office and allegiance.
The Supreme Court yesterday (Thursday) sacked the All Progressives Congress governor-elect in Bayelsa State, David Lyon, and his running mate, Biobarakuma Degi-Eremienyo, and pronounced the Peoples Democratic Party candidates, Douye Diri, and his running mate, Lawrence Ewrujakpor, as the winners of the election held in the state.
The apex court had found irregularities in the credentials of the ex-APC deputy governor-elect in Bayelsa State, Degi-Eremienyo, and annulled the joint ticket of both Lyon and Degi-Eremienyo.
The apex court then ordered INEC to issue fresh certificates to the candidates of the party with the next highest votes and with the required constitutional spread of votes in the results of the election, which is the PDP’s Diri and his deputy governor-elect, Lawrence Ewrudjakpo.
The Independent National Electoral Commission on Friday morning had issued a Certificate of Return to Diri in compliance with the verdict of the Supreme Court.
- ‘Sheikh Gumi, others should exercise restraint’ Nigerian Army cautions
- COVID-19 Testing: Nigerian Government threatens to ban flights from UAE, Netherlands
- COVID-19: Ogun State receives 50,000 vaccine doses
- Nigerian students can now work in the UK after schooling; here’s the latest directive
- You promised to free her, Leah Sharibu’s family writes Buhari
- Breaking: No fewer than 19 persons have been abducted in Kutunku village in Niger State
- “OBJ, faults and all” – Kingsley Moghalu says former President Obasanjo is Nigeria’s best president since 1999
- Minister Pauline Tallen’s niece has been kidnapped In Jos
- EFCC invites Ondo Assembly members over fraud allegations
- #IWD: Aisha Buhari laments school kidnapping