Estimated Reading Time: <1
Residents of Maiduguri, Borno state capital, are currently running for cover following an attack launched by Boko Haram fighters.
The attack happened hours after President Muhammadu Buhari paid a condolence visit to the people of the state over the killing of 30 persons on Sunday.
Multiple reports say gunshots are fired from Damboa road axis and the Jiddari Polo axis as well, and residents are running and looking for safety .
President Muhammadu Buhari on Wednesday told the residents of Borno State that the Boko Haram insurgents or any of their factions cannot carry out attacks on the people without the supports of some of the locals.
Buhari, who was said to be in the state to sympathise with the government and people of the state over the Boko Haram insurgents’ attack which claimed many lives at Auno in Konduga Local Government Area, noted that the fight against insurgency could not be achieved without good intelligence and support of the people.
He said, “Boko Haram or whatever they are cannot come to Maiduguri or its environs without the local leadership knowing, the local leadership is in charge of security in their own respective areas.
“With my understanding of our culture, I wonder how Boko Haram survives up to this end.
“As the Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces, I campaigned in 2015 and last year on three fundamental issues which include security as you cannot preside over an institution or a country if it is not secured.
“We are working for you in this country; as Commander-in-Chief, I am dealing with the security institutions and I believe there is an improvement in security.
“I urge the people of the state to cooperate with the law enforcement agencies; let us deny Boko Haram access to our loyal citizens and encourage displaced people to go back to their land.”
- Udo Jude Ilo: Making the best of the Public Anger on Sexual and Gender-Based Violence
- Edo Elections: PDP picks Nyesom Wike as campaign chairman
- Governor Abdulrazaq reshuffles cabinet
- LASG announces partial reopening of schools
- Kogi Governor appoints acting Chief Judge
- Bauchi Governor suspends Emir of Misau
- APC plans to use Ganduje, Yahyah Bello and Uzodinma to derail Edo election – PDP
- Stamp duty will now be paid on house rent and C of O – FIRS
- No differences to sort out in APC, says Tinubu
- EFCC arraigns Malabu Oil, six others over $1 billion fraud