Estimated Reading Time: <1
Men of the Police Special Fraud Unit (PSFU) Lagos, has arraigned popular Nigerian musician, Iyanya Onoyom Mbuk, known as Iyanya, before the state high court sitting in Igbosere for alleged car theft.
The police docked Iyanya before Justice Mobolanle Okikiolu-Ighile on a one count charge of stealing.
The charge was filed against the musician on March 15, 2019 but his arraignment failed to take place six times, due to his failure to attend court.
Iyanya was, however, compelled to take his plea on February 4, after the judge threatened to invoke the power of the court to ensure his attendance.
He eventually appeared before the court on February 4, 2020, after which the charge was read to him.
The prosecutor, Chukwu Agwu, a Superintendent of Police, informed the court that Iyanya dishonestly converted to his use or of another person a Black Toyota Land Cruiser Prado Jeep marked MAVINIY, with the Chassis and Engine numbers: JTEBX7FJ7EK165480 and 2TR1385954 respectively.
Agwu told the court that the said vehicle belongs to ‘The Temple Management Company Limited, represented by a lawyer, Ayodeji Olomojobi.
The prosecutor informed the court that Iyanya committed the offence sometimes in September 2018.
He also maintained that the offence is contrary to sections 278(1) (b), 279(1)(2) and punishable under Section 285(10) of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2011.
The singer, however, pleaded not guilty to the charge.
Following his not guilty plea, Agwu, urged the court to remand the defendant in custody of the Nigerian Correctional Services (NCS), pending the hearing and determination of his bail application.
Responding, the musician’s lawyer, A. Williams, pleaded with the court not to remand his client in the custody of the NCS.
Williams urged the court to release the musician to him and that he is ready to make an undertaking to produce him in court at the next adjourned day.
Following the submission of the prosecutor and the undertaking made by Iyanya’s counsel to produce him in court at the next adjourned date, Justice Okikiolu-Ighile released him to his lawyer.
The judge then adjourned the matter to February 27 and March 17, for ruling on his bail application and for the commencement of trial.
- 80-year-old, ward head and three others killed in bandits attack in Kaduna
- Bandits kidnap 17 persons in three communities in Niger State
- In Katsina, 21-year-old labourer, Abubakar Sani, dragged to court over alleged homosexual (rape) of an eight-year-old boy
- COVID-19: We have capacity to test 600 people daily – Governor Obaseki
- The Nigerian Government is selling properties to fund the 2021 budget – what happens after ?
- 2023: Fayemi is the most qualified presidential candidate from South-West – APC spokesperson declares
- Just In: FG says it is mandatory for foreign diplomats to obtain the National Identity Numbers
- Breaking: Ex-finance minister, Jubril Martins-Kuye is dead
- We will continue to demand the unconditional release of El-Zakzaky – IMN
- We are short of cooling facilities to store expected Covid-19 vaccines – Nigerian Institute of Medical Research