Estimated Reading Time: <1
Speaker of the House of Representatives Femi Gbajabiamila on Wednesday sworn in Hassan Ado Doguwa and five other newly members of the House who won their rerun election during last Saturday by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).
The Speaker also announced the unanimous decision of the APC caucus to return Hon. Ado Doguwa as House Leader.
Doguwa vacated the seat in November when he was sacked by the Court of Appeal
The inauguration was witnessed by Kano Governor, Dr. Abdullahi Umar Ganduje, Senator Kabiru Gaya, Senator Barau Jibril, Senator Ibrahim Shekarau, party leaders from Kano and a large number of party faithful.
From the main gate to the entrance into the gallery of the House of Representatives, Doguwa and other lawmakers from Kano state took over the assembly making entrance into the gallery difficult.
Announcing Doguwa as the House Leader, Speaker Gbajabiamila said: “By the unanimous contention and agreement, the APC caucus in the House has agreed to return Hon. Ado Doguwa as the Leader of the House of Representatives”.
The Speaker’s announcement was greeted with wild jubilation by members who had been chanting Leader, Leader, Leader before and immediately after he was sworn in.
Chief Whip Mohammed Tahir Mongunu however moved a motion for Doguwa to resume his seat as House Leader and was seconded by Hon Taiwo Onanuga.
- 4.36 million oil barrels lost to power outage, others – NNPC
- Nigeria launches project in Osun to begin gold mining and refining in 2021
- President Buhari signs African Trade Insurance Agency instrument
- Court upturns deregistration of 22 political parties by INEC
- JAMB moves 2020 UTME screening into tertiary institutions to September 7
- Insecurity: Buhari says the government is doing its best but lack of resources has become a problem
- Sharia court in Kano sentences singer to death for blasphemy against Prophet Mohammed
- Hope Uzodimma, governor of Imo state, petitions NJC and attorney-general over the tag “supreme court governor”
- Insecurity: Buhari meets with North-East governors, security chiefs
- Agboola is desperate to be Governor says PDP