Estimated Reading Time: <1
Angelique Kidjo has beaten Burna Boy to the Grammy Award for Best Contemporary World Music Album.
Burna Boy had been nominated in the category for his acclaimed album ‘African Giant’.
Although he was up against seasoned Angelique Kidjo, Nathalie Joachim with Spektral Quartet, Bokanté & Metropole Orkest Conducted By Jules Buckley and, Altin Gün, many fans were certain this would be his year.
It wasn’t to be as the Recording Academy opted to hand Kidjo her fourth Best Contemporary World Music Album gong for her album “Celia”.
Kidjo who sings in more than five languages and whose career has spanned almost four decades was gracious in receiving the award and dedicated it to Burna Boy.
“This is for Burna Boy,” she said, lifting up her award to cheers, and declaring the “African Giant” as part of the new generation of African musicians that are changing the global perception of Africa and its music.
- Civil Servants Found Leaking Official Documents On Social Media Will Be Dismissed – FG
- Almajirai Repatriated To Kaduna Will Get Free Education – Kaduna Governor
- Nigerian farmers likely to go out of business due to COVID-19 Pandemic
- Odion Ighalo’s dream of making his stay with Manchester United may not materialize – here’s why
- NAFDAC to continue hydroxychloroquine clinical trials for treatment of COVID-19 in Nigeria despite suspension
- Of Oil wealth, Niger Delta Politicians & the Nigerian state
- COVID-19: WHO Suspends Hydrochloroquine Treatment Trials On Safety Concerns
- COVID-19: Anambra, Delta To Check Movement On Niger Bridge
- MURIC wants Northern governors sanctioned for flouting COVID-19 directives to pray at home during Eid al-fitr
- Nigeria’s Gross Domestic Product grew by 1.87% in Q1 – NBS