Estimated Reading Time: <1
President Muhammadu Buhari says the opinion of Theophilus Danjuma, retired general, is not more important than that of millions of Nigerians who voted for his reelection in 2019.
When Buhari was asked if he was concerned about the vote of no confidence expressed by Danjuma during a recent book launch in Ibadan, he said: “And what is the vote of confidence of Nigerians in me, as expressed in the polls last year? That is what matters more, not the opinion of one man.”
Danjuma had said if he says what he knows about the goings on in the government, Nigerians would lose sleep.
The comment has been viewed in some quarters as an expression of lack of confidence in Buhari’s government, and a blow from a man who is widely believed to have been one of Buhari’s major financial pillars.
The president, however, said his re-election was a vindication of his voters’ confidence and support for him and his government’s policies.
On his relationship with Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo, Buhari said things were “perfect”, between them.
He was asked to rate his relationship with his deputy on a scale of one to 10. But the President replied: “Perfect. Or has he complained to you?”
When asked to comment on the accusation of being a dictator, the president said his critics would always look for ways to de-market him.
”You called them critics. If they are critics, you would hardly expect them to garland me. Rather, they would look for things to try and de-market me. But I am glad that as they do that,” he said.
”Millions of Nigerians know who their President truly is, and they have made it clear in 2015 and 2019 presidential elections. All countries, including the old democracies must maintain law and order. If you look around the world, our policing operations are as restrained as any.”
- No differences to sort out in APC, says Tinubu
- EFCC arraigns Malabu Oil, six others over $1 billion fraud
- Plateau State Chief of staff tests positive for COVID-19
- COVID-19: Akwa Ibom has not received any financial assistance from FG – Gov Udom Emmanuel
- 24 hours after Ayade’s ‘party’ to celebrate zero COVID-19, UCTH announce 5 positive cases
- Ondo State Governor’s wife, Betty Anyanwu-Akeredolu, aide test positive for COVID-19
- NUJ wants Ondo Governor to declare 14 days lockdown
- Nigeria’s debt portfolio of has risen to N28.63tn
- Plateau LG chairman, Ezekiel Mandyau, is dead
- Centre for disease control discharges higher number of Covid-19 patients in Nigeria