Estimated Reading Time: <1
The leadership of Ohanaeze Ndigbo Youth Worldwide on Thursday asked governors of south east forum led by Governor David Umahi of Ebonyi state to reinstate the famous “BAKASSI BOYS” as the region security outfit. The group call came following the proposed plan for regional policing which culminated in the launch of Amotekun by governors of South West.
This was contained in a statement issued and signed by the President General of Ohanaeze Ndigbo Youths Worldwide, Mazi Okechukwu Isiguzoro and the Secretary, Mazi Okwu Nnabuike and was made available to Daily Trust. Mazi Isigusoro insisted that the reinstatement of disengaged BAKASSI BOYS would make the region the most secure in the six geopolitical zones in the country.
“Ohanaeze Youth Council Worldwide want to use this medium to appeal to governors of the South East forum to reinstate the proscribed BAKASSI BOYS vigilant group as our own security outfit. “This is as a result of the ongoing formation of community policing in other regions of the country, of recent was Amotekun by governors of the South West.
“Again, in the North, the Civilian JTF and Hisbah Police are already there, so ours should not be different. Beside, the return of BAKASSI BOYS will make south east the most secure region in Nigeria,” he explained. Although, he added that the BAKASSI BOYS which restored sanity in Abia and Anambra state failed because of influence of some politicians and rich individuals.
“But this challenge can be overcome if operational guidelines, adequate funding are made available in partnership with the federal government and Nigerian security operatives supervising their activities. “The funding should not come from south east governors alone but federal government as well. Also, security operatives should always monitor and supervise their activities”, he noted.
- Sokoto to construct flyovers with N10.2 billion
- Nigeria’s Vice President wants probe allegation he received N4bn from Ibrahim Magu
- A total of N281 billion has so far been released to the NDDC since 2016 – here’s why the senate declared open an investigation
- Attorney General, member Nasarawa state task force test positive for COVID-19
- Nigeria begin evacuation of another batch of citizens stranded in Europe
- Opinion: Violence in Nigeria has taken diverse forms in recent times
- Wike of Rivers State has advised residents to be wary of air travellers from Abuja and Lagos – states with high coronavirus cases
- Oniru residents write Sanwo-olu over New Oba’s alleged use of thugs
- Just In: Nigeria develops, launches COVID-19 test kit
- The Vice President did not collect N4 Billion from Magu – Laolu Akande