Estimated Reading Time: <1
Hope Uzodinma, governor of Imo state, has described the demonstration against his victory at the supreme court as an attempt to overthrow President Muhammadu Buhari.
Uche Secondus, national chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), and Peter Obi, former governor of Anambra state, have lead a protest to the supreme court over its verdict on the Imo governorship election.
Enyinnaya Abaribe, senate minority leader, also led the protest.The march took off from the PDP’s Legacy House in Maitama, Abuja amid tight security.
TheCable Newspaper reports that he was Speaking after he received APC members who held a solidarity march for him in Owerri, the governor said the protest should be investigated.
“If it is the Imo State governorship election, why are PDP members protesting in Abuja, Bayelsa and everywhere in the country? Why are they not protesting only in Imo state?” Uzodinma said.
“PDP wants to overthrow the government of President Muhammadu Buhari. I therefore, use this medium to call on all the security agencies to begin an investigation into the organised synchronised national crisis, which the PDP is plotting.
“I want you to keep supporting the government of President Buhari. You all know that I was the frontrunner candidate during the 2019 governorship election in Imo State. I did not challenge the election on the grounds of violence.”
He said he challenged the election in court because the electoral commission refused to accept the results of 388 polling units it had accepted at the collation centres.
“The tribunal did not understand our petition. The appeal court gave us a minority judgement, but the supreme court, in its wisdom, understood our petition and gave judgement in our favour,” he said.
“I am already the governor and I am in charge of Imo state government house. Why would anybody challenge the integrity and wisdom of the supreme court justices? The supreme court justices gave us a majority judgement.”
The apex court had affirmed Uzodinma, All Progressives Congress (APC) candidate, as duly elected governor of Imo.
- Radio stations fined for violations against the Nigerian Broadcasting code
- Trump threatens to ‘close down’ social media after Twitter labelled two of his tweets “unsubstantiated”
- Breaking: In Edo State, Ize-Iyamu collects APC governorship form, and Governor Obaseki speaks
- “We dried our tears” – 17-year-old girl who escaped Boko Haram after being abducted and held in captivity for four years described life in the Sambisa forest
- Over 2000 critically endangered vultures dead through deliberate pesticide poisoning
- National Assembly To Meet On Thursday On 2020 Revised Budget
- Cobhams Asuquo has been appointed UNICEF national ambassador
- IMF advises banks to suspend dividend payment
- MD of NDDC Says The Commission’s 2019 budget padded with over 500 fake projects
- Presidency deny reports of cancelled memo signed off by the late Abba Kyari