Estimated Reading Time: <1
Taraba State House of Assembly on Monday elected Joseph Kunini as the new Speaker, following the resignation of the former Speaker, Abel Diah on Sunday evening.
The House also elected Haman Adama as the new Deputy Speaker, while Douglas Ndatse was elected as the Majority Leader.
Reading the communication, the new Speaker, fixed Tuesday for the commencement of screening of the 21 commissioner nominees.
The embattled Speaker of the Taraba State House of Assembly, Hon. Peter Abel Diah, had on Sunday resigned his position, following weeks of political intrigues. In a text message to newsmen in Jalingo, the Speaker confirmed his resignation, citing personal reasons.
Before his resignation, they had been speculation of a fight between Diah and Governor Ishaku which political watchers say is hinged on the politics of 2023.
At plenary on Monday, the House also received an executive communication from Governor Darius Ishaku containing names of commissioner nominees for screening by the House.
Kunini was nominated by Mr Bonzana Kizito (PDP- Zing) constituency, and he was seconded by Mr Ammed Jedua of Gembu constituency.
His election was unanimous with 16 of the 24 members present at the sitting.
In his remarks, Kunini pledged to be just and equitable in carrying out his functions.
“This is a house of justice and equity. Taraba should be greater than any individual and we must work hard to take the state to greater heights. I will work to champion this, “ he said.
He promised that the house would work as a team and partner with the executive to make the state a greater place.
“I will run an open door Parliament where even the minority will have a say.
“Thank you for this trust. I assure you that it will be used as a medium to serve God and humanity. Thank you for this privilege”, he said.
Kunini who represents Lau constituency was a third-term member of the House.
The House also nominated Mr Douglas Ndatse as the Majority leader of the House to replace the new speaker who occupied the position before now.
- APC Suspension: ‘A joke taken too far’ says Fayemi
- Auschwitz museum director begs Buhari for 13 year old boy jailed for blasphemy
- Tiv/Jukun conflict: Governor Ishaku urges fleeing communities to return home
- Obaseki says it will be immoral to return to APC, after meeting with Buhari
- Fact Check: Did Obasanjo really inherit $3 billion in foreign reserves?
- Lagos, Oyo, Kogi, Osun and Ekiti top list of states technically insolvent – Report
- APC Suspends Governor Kayode Fayemi for anti-party activities
- Insecurity: We should speak the truth about things we haven’t gotten right says Gbajabiamila
- The Nigerian Navy launches first purpose built hydrographic survey vessel
- INVESTIGATION: Ticketing Corruption by Railway Staff, Soldiers, Policemen Derailing Abuja-Kaduna Rail Project #TheTrainHasDerailed