Estimated Reading Time: <1
The Arewa Youths Consultative Forum, AYCF, has told President Muhammadu Buhari, not to seek re-election in 2019 presidential election.
The youth group said any arrangement for Buhari to run in the next poll would be resisted.
Speaking with the Sun, President of the AYCF, Yerima Shettima, who also hinted he may run for the presidential election, urged Buhari to abandon his right to contest the 2019 presidential election.
He said, “Honestly, the situation is nothing to write home about and we cannot continue hoping that anything will happen from now till the next one year.
“We cannot continue to imagine that. That would assume we are living in imagination and the truth of the matter is that from now until January what the government has been able to do is what they can do for this tenure and I do not think that Nigerians are prepared to be fooled for the second time.
“We cannot continue over and over. We have come of age. We cannot continue to fold our hands and be complaining. We must be in the mainstream. Most of them had the opportunity but they could not do it well and I do not see them doing it better now at their age.
“The truth is that our expectations of this government have not been met.
“Everything they promised during the campaign and in their manifesto. The reason why everybody sought for change was that we thought this government will fight corruption tooth and nail without considering whosoever is involved.
“But we have now realized that the fight against corruption has become selective. Then two, the issue of insurgency, leave it or take it, to us, as laymen this battle is not over. We cannot or the government cannot justify the fact that we told Nigerians that the fight against insurgency is over.
“Almost every day we have had casualties. These are the two core issues. The third one on the campaign was the issue of power. This is nothing to write home about even though the Minister of Power told us that a responsible government should be able to fix power within six months.
- Foreign affairs minister, Geoffrey Onyeama recovers from COVID-19
- Osun-Osogbo festival 2020 has been cancelled
- Former Abia Governor, Theodore Orji denies ownership of properties investigated by EFCC
- FIRS, NIPOST fight ‘unnecessary and unhelpful’ says FIRS boss as Reps intervene
- DSS invites Obadiah Mailafia for alleging that Governors are sponsoring Boko Haram
- Protesters in Mali are demanding the President’s resignation
- Nigeria is expecting arms shipment from US, China, Jordan says Buhari
- Ondo Election: Sanwo-Olu heads APC campaign committee
- Insurgency: NAF to establish Base, deploy air assets in Gombe
- The Empire Strikes Back: Indian Workers Insist Glo is Doing Everything to Avoid Paying Them