Estimated Reading Time: <1
Former Governor of Anambra State, Mr. Peter Obi, took great pains on Monday to explain that as a politician he has practiced politics of ideas, devoid of bitterness.
Speaking during the Awka Diocesan Laity Week in the Anambra capital, Obi said even when opposing politicians came to the state to campaign against his reelection, he provided logistics for them. He was speaking against the backdrop of reports that he vowed to fight for his preferred candidate, PDP’s Oseloka Obaze, to win next month’s Anambra guber elections with the last drop of his blood.
“During my time, I, as governor, welcomed other opposing parties that came to Anambra to campaign against me , at times, I provided them with logistics. I did that when Mr. Babatunde Fashola came to campaign for Dr. Chris Ngige and when Dr. Orji Uzor Kalu led the PPA to campaign in the state- all against me, during the electioneering for my second tenure.
“Even when my people suggested we should place very high tariffs on billboards and posters, I refused, insisting that in much as we sell our manifestos to the people, that the election should be prosecuted as one family. During the campaign for Gov. Willie Obiano, whether running around or in whatever I did at that time, we did not do it with the last drop of our blood. In all, I cannot use such a language even in my dream,” Obi said.
On whether he took PDP candidate, Obaze, to a shrine to swear loyalty to him, Obi said, “All I can tell you is that the story of shrine and related nonsense are clearly the antics of the opposition that is afraid of facing reality.”
- ‘Avoid politicians approaching you to destabilize the government’ – Buratai warns Generals
- Lagos Senatorial by-elections hold today
- ‘Fisayo Soyombo Wins Kurt Schork Award in International Journalism after five attempts in six years
- Ali Ndume to withdraw as Abdulrasheed Maina’s Surety
- Nominations the 14th Headies Award is out, Check out the complete list
- Murder: Court upholds death sentence for Maryam Sanda
- Canadian Government supports Nigeria to strengthen security at the borders
- By-Election: Police in Lagos announce restriction of movement from 6am – 6pm in affected areas
- Arik Air sacks 300 staff members, claims economic hardship
- Patrick Vieira has been sacked as coach of Nice