Estimated Reading Time: <1
Two thousand megawatts of electricity generated into the national grid is not distributed to consumers, according to Mr. Louis Edozien, Permanent Secretary, Federal Ministry of Power, Works and Housing.
“The national grid produces about 6,600 megawatts of electricity from the 750,33KV trading points, but less than 4,600 megawatts ?get distributed to the consumers,” Edozien said on Monday in Jos.
Edozien, who spoke at the opening of the 3rd National Council On Power (NACOP) meeting, attributed the situation to inadequate distribution lines and distribution sub-stations.
“Most of the Distribution Companies (DISCOs) do not have adequate distribution lines and distribution sub-stations; we have discussed the need to acquire more of these facilities so as to boost supply to customers,” he said.
While noting that much funds were needed to procure more distribution lines, he regretted that the DISCOs were a bit cash-strapped following most consumers’ inability to pay their electricity tariff.
The official said that the NACOP meeting would feature robust deliberation on the shortage of the distribution lines and other critical issues bordering on how to deliver available power to consumers.
“The gap must be bridged so that electricity generated and transmitted is optimally used to improve power supply,” he said.
He said that customers’ rising debt profile and issues related to tariff would also be addressed.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the meeting, which commenced on Monday, Sept. 18, will be concluded on Sept. 22, with Mr. Babatunde Fashola, Minister for Power, Works and Housing, among key speakers.
- Buhari’s Fuji house of commotion
- Abike Dabiri accuses Minister, Ali Pantami of driving her staff out of NCC property –
- Buhari “regime” is pursuing political annihilation of the South – group alleges
- Two new cases of coronavirus recorded in Enugu State
- Social distancing was not fully enforced during the Eid prayers in Kano
- Nigeria confirms 265 new cases of COVID-19, totalling 7,526
- In Borno State Governor Zulum Attends Eid Prayers While Social Distancing
- President Buhari Celebrates Eid-El-Fitr Privately Amid COVID-19 Pandemic
- Eid-el-Fitr: NSCDC Deploys 500 Officers In Yobe
- Kaduna State Healthcare Workers Begin 7-Day Warning Strike