Estimated Reading Time: <1
A police officer in the Ebonyi State, Donatus Oyibe, has reportedly committed suicide in Abakaliki, the state
Mr. Oyibe, a native of Ndegu Ishieke in Ebonyi Local Government Area of the state, was said to have jumped into a well on Sunday night when he reportedly went to fetch water.
Residents said he had been ‘moody’ since August 28 when he received his letter of transfer to Maiduguri in Borno State.
A police source said he was among the last batch of Mobile Police Officers recently deployed from the 32 Squadron Abakaliki after completing his tour of duty.
“He was a gallant mobile police officer and had already reported back to the Police Command where he was posted to Operations Department and he resumed duties in earnest before the transfer came,” the source said.
His death was said to be connected with his recent transfer to Borno State after his posting letter was released on August 28.
The deceased’s daughter, Ukamaka, narrated that her late father took a bucket to fetch water from the well but did not come back after several hours and this led to a search for him by concerned family members.
She added that when they reached the well, his bucket was seen but he was nowhere to be found. His body was later discovered inside the well.
When contacted, the police spokesperson in the state, Loveth Ogah, said she was yet to be briefed on the development.
She promised that the command will investigate the matter.
- Chairman of Taraba State LGA, Hon. Salihu Dovo, has been killed by his abductors
- Nigerian Police vows action against those behind the recent violence and ethnic tension Oyo state
- Attahiru M. Jega: Restructuring in Nigeria: Why? How? When?
- It makes no sense for cows to roam the streets in 2021 – Adamu Garba of twitter declares
- Buhari’s government has been very disappointing – Former INEC Chairman, Atthairu Jega fumes
- Social Media for Activism: How a Nigerian Law school Student is using Twitter to raise awareness on misogynistic laws #everydayfeminism
- Come back with laptops, Ipad, smartphones for e-learning – UNICAL to returning students
- Oyo Insecurity: Makinde, IGP to meet with Ibarapa community
- “For people stoking ethnic tension” – Olubadan calls for peace between Fulani and Yoruba residents
- PDP rejects former speaker Dogara, insists he is not part of the party