Estimated Reading Time: <1
The wife of former President Goodluck Jonathan, Mrs Patience Jonathan, has accused the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission of sending assassins after her.
Alleging that she that she had survived two of such attempts, Mrs Jonathan urged the House of Representatives to quickly intervene before the EFCC would succeed in the alleged plot to eliminate her.
In a letter written by her lawyers, Granville Abibo (SAN) & Co, Mrs. Jonathan said, “There have been assassination attempts, at least twice, between February and April, 2017, against our client ostensibly by the operatives of the EFCC along the Yenagoa-Mbaima Road, Bayelsa State, in furtherance of its unlawful actions against the former first family.”
According to The PUNCH, the wife of the former President also claimed that the anti-graft agency had bugged her telephone lines, adding that agents of the commission had been sending threatening text messages to her.
She said, “The EFCC and its agents have repeatedly bugged the personal telephones of our client and her relations through its many operatives and has inundated her with numerous threatening calls and text messages.”
She also alleged that she had been intimidated by other agencies of the government such as the Federal Inland Revenue Service, stating that officials of the agency had stormed her hotel–Aridolf Jo Resort Wellness and Spa Limited and vandalized properties.
She further alleged that the FIRS bank accounts belonging to herself, some of her relatives as well as NGOs which she said were only carrying out charity work for the benefit of Nigerians.
The spokesman for the EFCC, Mr. Wilson Uwujaren, refused to react to the allegations levelled against the commission by Mrs. Jonathan when he was contacted on the telephone on Monday
- #EndSARS: You have made your point, please call off the protest; Tinubu begs
- Governor Ayade swears in 3rd acting chief judge in 11 months, as lawyers protest
- #EndSARS protests: Lagos considers closure of schools
- Leave the road and let’s talk; Sanwo-Olu begs #EndSARS protesters
- 181 students, staff test positive for COVID-19 in Lagos private school
- Breaking: Another Prison attacked and inmates freed in Edo
- Nigerian lawmaker backs #EndSARS protesters
- Just In: Defence minister warns protesters against undermining National Security #EndSARS
- “The ongoing protests show that there is hidden agenda, APC on #EndSARS
- Protesters block airport road as Soldiers take over #EndSARS locations in Abuja