Estimated Reading Time: <1
A 22 year old lady along with six other suspects have been arrested by the Decoy Team of the Rapid Response Squad of the Lagos Police Command over the sale of a day old baby for the sum of N250,000.
The lady, Miss Onyinyechi Osoneye, was arrested on Wednesday by the operatives who were working on intelligence over the sale of her baby to Mr and Mrs Ike Nwata.
It was gathered that Onyinyechi with the connivance of her mother, Mrs Joy Osoneye concealed the pregnancy from her father knowing his strict position for having a child out of wedlock.
It was further revealed that the man who impregnated Onyinyechi had long been informed of the pregnancy but declined to be the one responsible for it.
A source revealed that Onyinyechi was admitted at Peninsula Hospital, Ikota, Lekki – Ajah Expressway, where Mrs. Glory Ehinmi, 35, delivered the lady of a baby boy on 1 March, 2017.
The source further disclosed that Onyinyechi when arrested had declined the fact that she was pregnant and sold her baby. She was reported to have thereafter burst into tears on further interrogations.
She disclosed that Mrs Glory Ehinmi took the baby from her at the point of delivery and gave it to Mrs Prisca Okocha, 45, her sister and the owner of Peculiar Hospital, Orile, who offered Onyinyechi’s mother N250,000.
The source disclosed that Okocha thereafter contacted Mrs Regina Anyanwu, 59 who subsequently brought the buyers, Mrs and Mr Ike Nwata.
Mrs. Okocha confessed to investigators that she sold the baby for N850, 000 but gave the mother N250, 000.
It was further gathered that the buying couples who were desperately in need of a child organised a huge party to celebrate the baby’s arrival.
Mrs. Nwata was reported to have stayed away from the residence of his husband while the search of a baby lasted. She added that she was been pretending to be pregnant every time she went to her husband’s house.
Onyinyechi could not be interviewed as she wept all through the period of the investigation.
Mrs. Ehinmi on interview disclosed that what she did Onyinyechi was a favour. She added that the concealment was enough to suffocate the baby.
She pointed out that she enrolled her for antenatal and fed her till she was delivered of the baby.
Efforts to arrest the man who impregnated Onyinyechi, her mother and father proved abortive as they were reported to be on the run.
The baby has been handed over to the Lagos State Ministry of Women Affairs while the five suspects had been transferred to Gender Office, State Headquarters, Ikeja for further investigations.
- Ayodele Fayose allege irregularities in the recently conducted South-West Congress of the PDP, describing the exercise as a “scam”
- Buhari appoints First Lady’s biographer as Nigeria’s ambassador to UNESCO
- Lady rejects marriage proposal over insult to political father, Kwankwaso
- 24 hours after arrest, Okorocha remains in EFCC custody
- ‘It Is Not True’ Federal Government denies Obaseki’s allegation of printing N60Billion
- #SaabGate: Omojuwa accuses Ezekwesili of betrayal
- 2023: ‘The president should come from south-east’ says Osita Chidoka
- Just in: Colonel Ahmed Usman, former Military Administrator, is dead
- JAMB cancels email requirement for registration, announces new guidelines
- Zamfara First Lady appoints 20 Miyetti Allah members as special assistants