Estimated Reading Time: <1
The All Progressives Congress (APC) has commended the Senate President, Dr. Bukola Saraki, and the Speaker of House of Representatives, Hon. Yakubu Dogara, for opening up on the details of the 2017 National Assembly budget.
The party said the action is commendable being the first time in the country’s recent democratic history.
In a statement issued on Friday by its National Publicity Secretary, Malam Bolaji Abdullahi, the ruling party said that by their action, the leadership of the National Assembly has demonstrated its commitment to an open and accountable legislature.
“It will be recalled that the Senate President had earlier in the year promised that the National Assembly budget details would be made available to the public following clamour from Nigerians for an open budget.
“By breaking from the tradition of secrecy that had shrouded the finances of the legislative institution, the APC-led National Assembly under Saraki has demonstrated their commitment to an open and accountable National Assembly, in line with our party’s resolve to run a more transparent government based on manifest probity, ” it said.
- Breaking: Coronavirus cases in Nigeria exceeds 10,000
- “Your appointments will ruin Nigeria”, – Col Umar warns Buhari in open letter
- “We have lost a great member” Redeemed Church Demands #JUSTICE4UWA
- Breaking: Churches to reopen next week in A/Ibom
- Return to negotiation or…, Ngige warns ASUU
- Amnesty International says Nigeria gov’ts response to rape continues to be woefully inadequate
- Raped & left for dead: Edo Governor wants justice for 22-yr-old student of University of Benin
- Buhari’s refusal to address the country on May 29 is because he’s weighed down with failure – PDP
- $5.513bn loan: SERAP wants Buhari to reveal spending details of loans by his government since 2015
- PDP records landslide victory in Benue LGA elections