Estimated Reading Time: <1
Former President Goodluck Jonathan on Tuesday night, held a meeting with the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) governors and opted for a political solution to the crisis rocking the party.
The meeting took place at the former president’s office in Maitama, Abuja, with governors of Ekiti, Akwa Ibom, Delta, Taraba, Cross Rivers, Abia, Ebonyi, Gombe and Bayelsa states in attendance while Rivers state was represented by his deputy.
Sources closed to the meeting said it was expected to discuss issues critical to the survival of the party.
At about 11:15 pm when the meeting ended chairman of the PDP Governors Forum and governor of Ekiti State told newsmen that Jonathan was concerned about the state of affairs in the party.
He said the meeting resolved to look for a political solution while the actors have been urged to refrain from making inflammatory statements that would further jeopardise the very existence of the party.
“It is my pleasure to tell you that we are here at the instance of the former president. He is genuinely concerned about what is going on in the party. And he thought that an interactive session with the governors will go a long way in dousing tension.
“One, we want to assure all our supporters that we believe in this party, we believe in the success of this party.
“We want to appeal to everybody to be wary of statements that could further worsen the situation. We should make complimentary statements that can enhance the party the more.
“Again, we know that there are so many matters before the court. But we believe that a political solution will go a long way to solve this matter.
“And if we believe in this party, we will all be willing and ready to pursue a political solution, in which at the end of the day every interest will be well represented. That is the position of the meeting,” he said.?
- Senate invite Communications Minister over insecurity
- #EndSARS: Federal Government reaches out to UK over sanction threats
- Nigerian Government may soon reopen land borders
- Breaking: Diego Maradona is dead
- Police on escort duty shoot 17 year old girl, others in Bayelsa
- Nnamdi Kanu’s trial to begin in absentia
- Ondo lawmakers divided over deputy speaker’s impeachment
- Finance Minister says Nigeria’s land borders will be reopened soon
- ‘Nigerian airlines are safe’; NCAA insists
- Abdulrasheed Maina’s lawyer dumps him, applies to quit case