Estimated Reading Time: <1
The leadership crisis in Kano State chapter of the APC has created an atmosphere of discord between two members of the party’s National Working Committee (NWC).
The party’s National Treasurer, Bala Mohammed Gwagwarwa, has opposed the decision by the National Vice Chairman (North West), Alhaji Inuwa Abdul-Kadir, over the APC state chairmanship position in Kano.
Gwagwarwa, in a letter he signed along with Umar Haruna Doguwa, the ousted state party chairman, urged Chief Odigie-Oyegun and the NWC to take steps that would ensure the provisions of the APC Constitution were “strictly adhered to in finding a lasting solution to the Kano crisis”.
The letter, dated January 27, 2017, stated that Zonal Executive Committee (ZEC) never discussed the issue of the Senator Mohammed Magoro-led fact-finding committee that endorsed the suspension and removal of Doguwa, who was replaced by Alhaji Abdullahi Abbas, a loyalist of Governor Abdullahi Umar Ganduje.
The letter, from the loyalists of the former governor of Kano State, Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso, also accused Abdul-Kadir of perpetrating unconstitutionalities by unilaterally forming the committee “whose report was well over the seven days’ ultimatum” which the party constitution specified.
The letter also picked holes in the decision to convene the December 10, 2016 ZEC meeting that approved the job of the fact-finding committee two months after it submitted its report.
“Sir, while our appeal is still pending in your office, another absurdity was perpetrated by Inuwa Abdul-Kadir by writing a letter of appointment to a purported new chairman for the Kano chapter of the APC. It is in this regard that we are once again compelled to write this letter to you and appeal for justice to be done in this matter in line with the stipulated provisions of the APC Constitution,” the letter read in part.
Pundits see the current tussle over the APC chairmanship seat as continuation by the incumbent Governor Ganduje and former Governor Kwankwaso of the fight for the soul of the party in Kano State.
- Just In: FG releases guidelines for schools’ resumption
- NMA wants Nigerians to avoid unnecessary visits or consultations to hospitals to minimise COVID-19 spread
- How Nigeria’s Federal Government, States, LGAs shared N7.8tr in 2019
- Magu-Gate: Prophet Omale responds to money laundering allegations, sues NAN for N1 Billion
- “Publish all tenders and all contracts” – Okonjo-Iweala said she saved billions of dollars as finance minister
- Fire guts World Trade Centre, Abuja
- Former NDDC boss Joi Nunieh accuses Niger Delta minister Akpabio of sexual harassment
- The army has no right to declare any citizen wanted; Court rules
- Nollywood star Ini Edo re-appointed tourism ambassador for Akwa Ibom
- Mandela’s daughter, Zindzi Mandela dies at 59