Estimated Reading Time: <1
Embattled Abdulmumin Jibrin, a former Chairman, House of Representatives Committee on Appropriation, has filed a fresh suit against the leadership of the House.
Jibrin filed the suit at the Federal High Abuja on Friday shortly after he withdrew the one of Aug. 9 challenging plans to stop his suspension.
The former chairman of appropriation committee is seeking one billion naira as damages for his suspension.
He had made damning allegations against the Speaker, Rep. Yakubu Dogara, his Deputy, Yussuf Lasun; Chief Whip, Ado Doguwa; Minority Leader, Leo Ogor; and nine other members, accusing them of padding the 2016 budget.
Jibrin, in the fresh suit, urged the court to declare his suspension as a violation of his fundamental human right to freedom of expression.
He prayed the court to declare that the resolution passed by the House of Representatives suspending him was in breach of Section 68 of the 1999 Constitution as amended.
He asked the court to restrain the House of Representatives from preventing him from. Participating in the committees of the House or accessing the legislative chambers to perform his legislative duties.
Justice John Tsoho has fixed Nov.22 for hearing of the suit.
Earlier, Tosho had struck out a suit filed by Jibrin, challenging his suspension from the House after his counsel Chukuma Nwachukwu asked for discontinuance.
In the withdrawn suit, Jibril had attempted to stop the alleged plan by Dogara, Lasun and other principal officers to suspend him.
- Lai Mohammed, “erroneously” amended the NBC Code – Board Chairman
- Nigeria not taking ISIS, Al-Queda warning lightly says DHQ
- Nigeria to reverse US suspension of immigrant visas to passport holders
- UNILAG Senate upholds Professor Ogundipe as VC
- Fredrick Nwabufo: Lai; The most dangerous minister in Buhari’s cabinet
- Multinational Joint Task Force says Boko Haram is now recruiting child soldiers
- Court adjourns trial of Former AGF Mohammed Adoke, Abubakar
- Multiple port charges escalate cargo delay at terminals – NAGAFF
- How my pastor trafficked me to Russia for prostitution; A hair stylist’s harrowing experience highlights Nigeria’s human trafficking problem
- Breaking: NBC fines Nigeria Info FM N5m over Obadiah Mailaifa interview