Estimated Reading Time: <1
Embattled Abdulmumin Jibrin, a former Chairman, House of Representatives Committee on Appropriation, has filed a fresh suit against the leadership of the House.
Jibrin filed the suit at the Federal High Abuja on Friday shortly after he withdrew the one of Aug. 9 challenging plans to stop his suspension.
The former chairman of appropriation committee is seeking one billion naira as damages for his suspension.
He had made damning allegations against the Speaker, Rep. Yakubu Dogara, his Deputy, Yussuf Lasun; Chief Whip, Ado Doguwa; Minority Leader, Leo Ogor; and nine other members, accusing them of padding the 2016 budget.
Jibrin, in the fresh suit, urged the court to declare his suspension as a violation of his fundamental human right to freedom of expression.
He prayed the court to declare that the resolution passed by the House of Representatives suspending him was in breach of Section 68 of the 1999 Constitution as amended.
He asked the court to restrain the House of Representatives from preventing him from. Participating in the committees of the House or accessing the legislative chambers to perform his legislative duties.
Justice John Tsoho has fixed Nov.22 for hearing of the suit.
Earlier, Tosho had struck out a suit filed by Jibrin, challenging his suspension from the House after his counsel Chukuma Nwachukwu asked for discontinuance.
In the withdrawn suit, Jibril had attempted to stop the alleged plan by Dogara, Lasun and other principal officers to suspend him.
- Tinubu describes Obaseki as an errant, ill disciplined governor and a dictator, who has been contemptuous of the people of Edo state
- Breaking: European Union lifts travel restrictions
- Fredrick Nwabufo: Naira Marley irritates the hypocrisy in all of us
- Buhari signs amended Companies Allied Matters bill
- Lai Mohammed says the hate speech N5 million fine is to deter those willing to destabilise Nigeria
- DG of the Progressive Governors forum says party is losing electoral value
- Just In: NUPENG orders tanker drivers to Suspend services in Lagos
- Candidate of the APC in Edo State, Ize-Iyamu says he does not want to go to Jail
- Former Nassarawa SSG cleared of all allegations of financial misappropriation
- Reps summon finance minister, predecessor over N1.7 trillion