Estimated Reading Time: <1
An 18-year-old unemployed man, Samson Gbadebo, who allegedly stole goods worth N26, 200 was on Thursday in Lagos granted a N200, 000 bail.
An Ikeja Magistrates’ Court which gave the ruling also granted Gbadebo two sureties in like sum, as part of the bail conditions. The Magistrate, Mr A. A. Adesanya, said the sureties must show evidence of tax payment to the Lagos State Government.
He adjourned the case to Sept.12, for mention. Gbadebo, of no fixed address, is being tried for intent to commit felony and stealing. Earlier, the prosecutor, Insp. George Nwosu, told the court that the accused committed the offences on Aug. 7 at No. 2, Adeosun St., Oko-Oba, Abule-Egba, Lagos.
He said that the accused unlawfully entered the shop of one Mrs Blessing Gbadebo and stole some of her goods. “The accused entered the shop of the complainant under the pretext of buying some drugs. “While the complainant was attending to another customer, the accused took the opportunity to steal.
“The accused stole a purse containing recharge cards of various networks worth N22, 300, a techo cell phone valued at N3, 600 and cash of N300, all amounting to N26,200,’’ he said.
“When the complainant discovered that her belongings were not where she kept them, she raised an alarm.
“Her neighbours pursued and apprehended the accused and all the stolen items were found on him,’’ he said.
The offences contravened Sections 285 and 306 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2011. Section 306 provides a five-year imprisonment for convicted offenders, while Section 285 prescribes a three-year jail term for the offence.The accused, however, pleaded not guilty to the charge.
- #EndSARS: Bayelsa Government Inaugurates Judicial Panel Of Inquiry
- Court rejects EFCC’s request for an arrest warrant for Diezani
- Prisoners who escaped from Edo prison rearrested for robbery and attempted murder
- Adamawa State: Police recovers 35 tractors from looted items, arrest over 200 suspects
- Government begins payment of N30,000 grants to 333,000 artisans
- Federal Government approves N2.9 billion for printing of National Examinations’ materials
- Borno Governor approves scholarship for orphans of Civilian JTF killed since 2013
- President Buhari launches 2021 Armed Forces, Remembrance Day emblem and appeal fund
- Returning looted goods may not save you from prosecution -Police say
- Osun Govt begins house-to-house search for stolen items