Estimated Reading Time: <1
An Ado-Ekiti Magistrate’s Court has remanded a 42-year-old man, Josiah Johnson, in prison custody for allegedly beating his wife, Julianah, to death for denying him sex.
The alleged offence was said to have been committed on Sunday, July 3 at Erio Ekiti community in Ekiti West Local Government Area.
The late Mrs. Johnson was said to have declined her husband’s request for sex on grounds that she did not want to get pregnant again after having seven children for the accused person.
When the case came up for hearing yesterday, Police Prosecutor Sgt. Oriyomi Akinwale told the court that the accused pounced on his late wife and give her a brutal beating, which led to her death.
The prosecutor explained that Josiah turned the deceased to a punching bag, hitting her with his fists repeatedly and went ahead to forcefully have sexual intercourse with her until she gave up the ghost in the course of the act.
According to Oriyomi, the offence contravened Section 319 (1) of the Criminal Code Cap C16 Laws of Ekiti State 2012.
The prosecutor further told the court that he had duplicated the case file and forwarded same to Office of the Director of Public Prosecution (DPP) for legal advice.
The plea of the accused was not taken as his counsel, Tunde Falade, sought for a short adjournment pending the outcome of legal advice from the office of the DPP.
The Magistrate, Taiwo Ajibade, ordered that the accused be remanded in Ado Ekiti Prisons while legal advice is being awaited from the DPP office.
She consequently adjourned the case to September 12 for further hearing.
- Nominations list for the 14th Headies Award is out, Check out the complete Nominations list
- Murder: Court upholds death sentence for Maryam Sanda
- Canadian Government supports Nigeria to strengthen security at the borders
- By-Election: Police in Lagos announce restriction of movement from 6am – 6pm in affected areas
- Arik Air sacks 300 staff members, claims economic hardship
- Patrick Vieira has been sacked as coach of Nice
- Just In: Appeal court sacks Senator Ifeanyi Araraume as Imo North APC candidate
- #EndSARS: Nigerian Police withdraws petition to end ongoing judicial panel
- CAN condemns Zabarmari massacre, calls it ‘satanic’
- Just in: Court remands Maina at Kuje Correction centre