Estimated Reading Time: <1
President Muhammadu Buhari has hailed the Nigerian youth for their tenacity and hard-work at all times despite the challenging times they faced.
The president spoke via an address he personally singed in commemoration of the 2016 International Youth Day marked Friday.
He recalled that the youth played active role in the 2015 general elections that brought APC to power and assured that his government would not turn its back on the youth.
While enumerating some programmes initiated by his government to impact the youth, the president revealed that some 30 distinguished youth would soon be engaged to help provide solutions to some technology-based problems in the country.
The speech reads: “Dear Nigerian Youths, Today is International Youth Day. “I am delighted to commemorate this occasion, the second such celebration since I took office.
“The roles that young Nigerians played in the historic election that brought our government to power will never be forgotten. This government belongs to you.
“I would like to use this opportunity to assure you of our commitment to improving the quality of your lives and to creating opportunities for you to achieve your dreams and ambitions.
“We are mindful of the fact that Nigeria has one of the youngest populations in the world. Those young people are immensely energetic and talented, consistently blazing the trail in the arts, sports, business and technology. We are proud of what you have done and what you are able to do.
“We have launched a number of initiatives targeted at expanding the economic opportunities available to young Nigerians. “N-Power, our job creation scheme, for which applications are ongoing, will employ 500,000 of you in agriculture, education, healthcare and technology.
“The Aso Villa Demo Day will soon bring 30 of the most innovative young Nigerians to the State House to showcase their talent in providing technology-based solutions to some of our most challenging problems.
“The Government Enterprise and Empowerment Programme (GEEP), part of our N500 billion Social Investment Programme, will provide soft loans to thousands of young entrepreneurs across the country. These are just some of the many initiatives we have designed and are implementing for you.
“You are the strength and future of our country. Please be assured that this administration will create an enabling environment for you to realize your potentials.
“I wish you all a Happy International Youth Day celebration. Thank You.”
- Nigerian Government may reciprocate the visa restriction imposed on its citizens by the United States, Others
- Abubakar Malami denies corruption allegations; writes to Buhari
- Covid-19: Lagos council demands fumigation fees, certificates from churches
- Hollywood actor Antonio Banderas tests positive for COVID-19
- Breaking: Federal High Court orders substituted service of disqualification suit on Ize-Iyamu
- Civil servants on levels 12, 13 have been directed to resume work
- EiE opens ‘Hacking the Nigeria Code’ online course for citizen engagement
- There could be regrets; Federal Government warns as COVID-19 deaths approach 1,000
- 4.36 million oil barrels lost to power outage, others – NNPC
- Nigeria launches project in Osun to begin gold mining and refining in 2021