Estimated Reading Time: <1
The Kastina State Police Command is holding a family of five in its custody for allegedly feeding a day-old baby boy to a dog as meal.
The incident happened at Saika village in Batsari Local Government Area.
Punch Newspaper reports that the suspects include 15-year-old Wosila Halilu, her three stepbrothers and her mother.
It was alleged that Wosila, who is the mother of the baby, got pregnant after she was raped by a 27 year-old farmer, Musa Garba.
She alleged that the farmer lured her into his farm where he committed the act.
Police sources said the family viewed the pregnancy and subsequent delivery of the baby as shameful, since she was not married.
They, therefore, held a meeting where it was alleged that Wosila’s mother and her step brothers decided that the baby should be fed to a dog.
The village head of Saika, known as Dakacin Seika, reported the incident to the police, leading to the arrest of the family and the the farmer.
Garba is in police custody for alleged rape.
The culprits were brought before a Kastina Magistrate Court on three count of culpable homicide, criminal conspiracy and rape. The prosecution said the offences were in contravention of sections 235, 387 and 85 of the Penal code.
Magistrate Nura Ladan ordered further investigation into the incident. He directed that the suspects be remanded in police custody until the case comes up for further hearing on August 8, 2016.
- EFCC invites Ondo Assembly members over fraud allegations
- #IWD: Aisha Buhari laments school kidnapping
- ‘2.5 million people have registered to join APC in Kano’ Ganduje says
- Federal Government to establish special courts, judicial divisions on GBV – Malami
- Mercy Abang makes list of 100 most inspiring women 2021
- Duchess of Sussex, Meghan Markle says she contemplated suicide in an explosive television interview
- Hijab Controversy: Kwara Government extends closure of 10 schools
- We have rehabilitated 42 roads in Calabar South-Cross River Government
- Workers in Odukpani Power Plant accuse management of high-handedness, threaten strike
- Senate queries NNPC over N4Trillion unremitted revenue