Estimated Reading Time: <1
The Nigerian Army has released a total of 249 suspected Boko Haram terrorists and accomplices, who have been cleared by the Joint Interrogation team, as approved by the Chief of Army Staff.
The Director of Army Public Relations, Col. Sani Usman, in a statement on Monday, disclosed that those cleared and released in Maiduguri were 169 males, 46 women and 34 children.
A further breakdown by Usman shows that 203 of the released suspects were from Borno State, 38 from Yobe State, while 44 were from other States including two each from Adamawa and Jigawa, one each from Lagos and Oyo and two from the Republic of Cameroon.
Usman added that the released persons were handed over to Borno State government through the Commissioner for Local Government by the General Officer Commanding (GOC) 7 Division, Brigadier General Victor Ezugwu.
“The two foreigners were however handed over to the Borno State Command of the Nigerian Immigration Service,” he stated.
“Each of them (the 249 suspects) was given a token of N3, 000 each.”
Usman revealed that the Commissioner advised the released detainees to remain law abiding and go about their lawful businesses.
He added that the Commissioner also commended the effort of the military in the fight against terrorism and insurgency and respect for human rights as manifested in the painstaking efforts that led to the clearance and subsequent release of the suspects.
- Nyesom Wike has donated N500 million to Sokoto to support the rebuilding of central market
- Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders insists herdsmen are peaceful
- Afenifere says Buhari government represents only Fulani interests
- Fulanis should stay, Akeredolu has no power to deny them the right to live in Ondo – Northern Elders Forum
- Joe Biden has been sworn in as the 46th president of the United States
- FEC approves 65 years as new retirement age for teachers
- President Buhari presides over first FEC meeting of 2021
- Teachers violating COVID-19 guidelines in Abuja will be arrested and Prosecuted – Task Force
- ‘Have a good life, see you soon’ Trump says as he bows out of White House
- LAUTECH: Oyo Government approves N8Billion payment to Osun Government