Estimated Reading Time: <1
Nasarawa State Governor, Tanko Al-Makura, on Saturday threatened to recruit fresh graduates to replace workers in the state currently on strike over non-payment of their salary.
The governor issued the threat in Nasarawa Eggon at the celebration of the 35th coronation anniversary of Aren Eggon, Dr. Bala Angbazo.
He, however, appealed to the workers to return to work, recalling that the state was among the first in the country to implement the N18,000 minimum wage in 2011.
He commended the Aren Eggon for his contributions toward the sustenance of peace in the state and urged the people to support the government and the traditional rulers in the effort, regardless of religious and political affiliations.
“I want to appeal to the striking workers to go back to work as the decision by the state government to review their salary downward was a result of dwindling economy.
It is also caused by the fall in the price of crude oil and declining allocation from the Federation Account.
The state government will take stock of attendance of striking workers that return to work and invite applications from graduates in order to replace those still on strike,” the governor said.
News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that some of the dignitaries at the occasion were Senators Jerry Hussieni, Joshua Dariye, Abduallahi Adamu and Solomon Ewuga.
- Legendary Reggae Singer; Majek Fashek Is Dead
- Just In: Schools across Nigeria remain closed – here’s all you need to know about the lifted restrictions
- In Nigeria, domestic flights to resume Operations from June 21
- Breaking: Religious gatherings can now resume – FG
- Edo Polls: Obaseki seeks Buhari’s intervention
- Breaking: APC governors converge in Abuja for crucial meeting on Obaseki
- Police confirms assassination of district head, APC chairman by bandits
- Breaking: Nigerian Govt reduces petrol pump price to N121.50 per litre
- Breaking: Tribunal rejects party’s request to join petition in Bayelsa governorship dispute
- Salawa Abeni’s 19 year old blackmailer has been arrested