Estimated Reading Time: <1
Argentina and Barcelona football superstar Lionel Messi has been sentenced to 21 months in prison for tax fraud, the BBC reports Spanish media as saying.
The player’s father, Jorge Messi, was also given a jail term for defrauding Spain of $4.5m between 2007 and 2009.
The two were found guilty of three counts of tax fraud in Wednesday’s ruling by the court of Barcelona.
The two also face millions of shillings in fine for using tax havens in Belize and Uruguay to conceal earnings from image rights.
The two may however avoid jail since the Spanish system allows for prison terms under two years to be served under probation.
- Presidency warns against ‘Misguided elements plotting to pass vote of no confidence on Buhari’
- AS Roma appoints Jose Mourinho as head coach
- ‘Our DG is incompetent, he doesn’t have a PhD’ – NISER workers protest
- Iniubong Umoren’s murder: Reps ask IGP to take over investigation, prosecution of suspects
- Biafra sit-at-home protest to hold Monday, May 31 – IPOB
- WTO DG Okonjo-Iweala announces her four Deputy Directors-General
- Insecurity: Senate to meet with service chiefs on Thursday
- Just In: Parents of abducted Kaduna students protest at National Assembly complex
- “A challenging stretch of time,” – Jennifer Gates, the eldest daughter of Billionaire Bill Gates and estranged wife
- Insecurity: Presidency holds another security meeting