Estimated Reading Time: <1
There is anxiety in the Niger Delta and Federal Capital Territory as the two-week ultimatum given to owners of oil blocs in the region by Niger Delta Avengers to evacuate their staff and shut down operations ends today, while secret talks with the militant group have run into a hitch.
The militant group in a statement by its spokesperson, Col Murdoch Agbinibo on May 12, gave the former Minister of Defence, General Theophilus Danjuma (retd), former Vice President, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar and other declared oil bloc owners two weeks to shut down operations or have themselves to blame.
Meanwhile, earlier today, the Avengers destroyed the pipeline support supplying electricity for the Escravos tank farm in Delta state owned by Chevron.
The group had asked the oil firm not to fix a major crude pipeline blown early in May by the group.
Eric Omare, spokesman for the Ijaw Youth Council, said to Reuters this morning: “The attack truly happened.”
A resident, Yebo Austin, also confirmed an explosion.
“We heard a loud blast at the Abiteye to Escravos crude pipeline which was blown up last night by yet-to-be identified militant group,” he said.
The Avengers say they are fighting for a greater share of oil profits, an end to pollution and independence in and for the region.
They have given an ultimatum to oil firms to leave the Delta before the end of May.
Tensions have heightened since President Muhammadu Buhari reduced funding for the amnesty programme and cancelled contracts held with former militants to protect pipelines they used to attack.
- Multinational Joint Task Force says Boko Haram is now recruiting child soldiers
- Court adjourns trial of Former AGF Mohammed Adoke, Abubakar
- Multiple port charges escalate cargo delay at terminals – NAGAFF
- How my pastor trafficked me to Russia for prostitution; A hair stylist’s harrowing experience highlights Nigeria’s human trafficking problem
- Breaking: NBC fines Nigeria Info FM N5m over Obadiah Mailaifa interview
- Magu’s lawyer writes probe panel, alleges ‘secrecy’ and violation of rights
- We raised hate speech fine to N5 million because when it was N500,000 people were reckless – Lai Mohammed
- Ooni Of Ife wants #BBNaija reality show replaced
- Police arraign two brothers over Flying Officer Tolu Arotile’s death
- Squeeze out old politicians who want to remain in power perpetually Obasanjo tells Youths