Estimated Reading Time: <1
…Set to conduct DNA tests on 6, 000 IDP kids
The Federal Government has expressed its desire to? establish a Deoxyribonucleic Acid DNA data-bank with a view to deploying it in tracking criminal elements, especially terrorists in the country.
Nigeria’s Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama disclosed this in Abuja while briefing security correspondents on the sidelines of the ongoing 2nd Regional Security Summit.
This came even as the minister stated that out the nearly two million internally displaced persons in Nigeria, about 6, 000 children who are aged below five have been separated from their parents, adding that such a databank would also help to track their parents.
His words; “We have within the country nearly two million internally displaced persons, a real tragedy which we have to address.
“We also have about 6, 000 children under the age of five who are separated from their parents and homes. We have to look at how to address that human catastrophe.
“What we are looking at is the use of DNA to try and match those children with parents. The DNA data-bank is really what we are looking at. And we could ultimately extend the data-bank to the whole country because we know that for a lot of countries, it is through their comprehensive DNA data-bank that they use in tracking terrorists and that is also going to help us in intelligence gathering”, he stated.
He added that the summit would also institute a post-conflict development programme, and as well put in place, mechanisms that would ensure that the military gains in the North East are consolidated through civil programmes by winning the hearts of the people through reconstruction, rehabilitation and resettlement of the IDPs.
- “APC Is Irresponsible, Reckless” – PDP kicks against ruling party linking members to fraudstar Hushpuppi
- Just In: Benue State University DVC dies of Covid-19
- Just In: Boat mishap in Benue River, Scores killed
- Former GM of LASIMRA, Jide Odekunle is dead
- NLC suspends week long strike in Cross River
- NNPC appoints, redeploys top management Staff
- 632 candidates fail Law School bar final exams
- President Buhari is an ‘accidental president’ ‘ – Fasyose
- Ondo Deputy governor asks Akeredolu to hand over government, gives 21 day ultimatum
- Kanye West announces US presidential bid