Estimated Reading Time: <1
There was wild jubilation in Calabar, on Sunday, as the state Governor, Professor Ben Ayade stunned labour leaders and workers when he announced the payment of salaries for the month of May on the first day of the month.
A mild drama immediately ensued when the workers who were at the U.J. Esuene Stadium for the May Day celebration each began to receive salary payment alert from their various banks. Unable to contain the excitement, shouts of Alert! Alert!, rent the stadium as the workers went into a frenzy, singing the praises of the governor.
Before now, the governor had paid salaries between the 13th and 20th day of each month. Ayade told the workers, who named him the Best Labour Friendly Governor in Nigeria, that his administration had a duty to give workers in the state a sense of dignity.
- Governor Ganduje of Kano begs FG to stop migration of herdsmen into Northern Nigeria
- In Ekiti, no more bail or plea bargaining for rape offenders – Governor Fayemi
- Meet the 23 year old gender activist kicking down the patriarchy in Borno
- We must renounce our tribal identities; I’m Nigerian NOT Igbo
- 13-year-old girl drugged and gang-raped in Kaduna
- World Environment Day: environmentalists stress the importance of nature to humans
- Family of Uwaila Umozuwa, 22-year-old raped and murdered allege death threats
- Court reaffirms INEC powers to deregister political parties
- “Gambari was an Abacha man” – Wole Soyinka says Buhari’s Chief of Staff is part of the structure
- Nigeria records 328 new cases of COVID-19, total number infections now 11, 844