Estimated Reading Time: <1
The Human Rights Writers Association of Nigeria (HURIWA) has accused Governor Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State, as being a major threat to peace and the sustenance of democracy in Nigeria.
The pro-democracy non-governmental organisation called on the governor “to fundamentally amend his leadership style to avoid precipitating civil unrest in Kaduna State. HURIWA warned that that any social-cum-religious warfare that is ignited in Kaduna would spread like wild fire across Nigeria.
In a media statement by its National Coordinator, Comrade Emmanuel Onwubiko and the National Media affairs Director Miss Zainab Yusuf, HURIWA expressed worry about the spate of anti-people and anti-religious policies being churned out by the administration of El-Rufai.
According to HURIWA, these which include the alleged discriminatory demolition of the ancestral settlements of the Gbagis/Gwaris and houses of the very poorest of the poor.
The body which lampooned El-Rufai over his anti-labour policy as against the Constitutional provisions that guarantees freedom of Associations also particularly stated that the newly introduced policy of granting licences to religious preachers is absolutely unconstitutional and illegal since the 1999 Constitution has clearly stated in Section 10 that government must not make or implement policies that are exclusively targeted at some religious organizations.
HURIWA called on the national leadership of the All Progressives Congress which sponsored El-Rufai to call him to order so as to maintain the current atmosphere of peace and tranquility in Kaduna State.
- APC plans to use Ganduje, Yahyah Bello and Uzodinma to derail Edo election – PDP
- Stamp duty will now be paid on house rent and C of O – FIRS
- No differences to sort out in APC, says Tinubu
- EFCC arraigns Malabu Oil, six others over $1 billion fraud
- Plateau State Chief of staff tests positive for COVID-19
- COVID-19: Akwa Ibom has not received any financial assistance from FG – Gov Udom Emmanuel
- 24 hours after Ayade’s ‘party’ to celebrate zero COVID-19, UCTH announce 5 positive cases
- Ondo State Governor’s wife, Betty Anyanwu-Akeredolu, aide test positive for COVID-19
- NUJ wants Ondo Governor to declare 14 days lockdown
- Nigeria’s debt portfolio of has risen to N28.63tn