Estimated Reading Time: <1
An Abeokuta Chief magistrate, Oriyomi Ogunfowora has granted bail to a man accused of calling a federal lawmaker, Senator Buruji Kashamu a drug baron and jail breaker.
The accused person, Deji Babington-Ashaye, living in Ikenne, Ogun state, was reported to have hurled the abusive words on the Ijebu Igbo businessman turned politician on social media, “PDP WhatsApp Group”, known as PDP March to Victory website.
Babingyon- Ashaye was arrested by the police and charged to court with engaging in the act that threatens the peace of the state.
He pleaded not guilty to the one count charge of breaching public peace.
The Prosecuting counsel, Sunday Eigbejiale said the accused committed the offence between March 13 and 14 ,2016 at about 2:30pm at Opposite Community High School , Ogere, Remo in Ogun State magistrate district.
Eigbejiale said, Babington-Ashaye conducted himself in a manner likely to cause the breach of peace by passing insult on Senator Buruji Kashamu on WhatsApp Group known as PDP March to Victory.
According to him, “the accused called Kashamu drugs baron and jail breaker”, challenging him to go to United States of America (USA) and clear the doubt.
He said Deji Babington- Ashaye committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 249 (d) of the criminal code cap 29 Vol.11 laws of Ogun state of Nigeria 2006.
The defence counsel, Bola Oluwole however stated that the offence was bailable and asked the court to grant his client bail.
The Presiding Magistrate Ogunfowora granted him bail in the sum of two hundred and fifty thousand naira ( N250,000 ) with two sureties in the like sum.
The matter was later adjourned till 30 March 2016.
- In new reforms, Sudan scraps FGM, alcohol ban & public floggings
- NewsWireNGR Journalist, Elfredah Kevin-Alerechi, accepted into Dubawa Fact-Checking Fellowship
- Ibrahim Magu, former acting EFCC Chairman accused of failing to account for 332 real estate properties recovered
- Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami justifies approval to sell five sea vessels holding crude oil and diesel
- Human rights lawyer, Femi Falana denies receiving N28m from Ibrahim Magu
- “My involvement in that political process ended after the elections of 2011” – Sambo Dasuki denies campaigning for President Buhari in 2015
- UK denies Nigerian airline landing permit to evacuate stranded citizens
- Leader of ‘One Million Boys’ shot dead in Ibadan
- Doctors in Lagos State begin warning strike on Monday
- National Theatre handed over to bankers’ committee for renovation