Estimated Reading Time: <1
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, has arrested the immediate past acting chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party, Uche Secondus.
The party’s director for new media, Adeyanju Ayodeji, said the EFCC accused Mr. Secondus of receiving buses illegally, and demanded he returned them.
Mr. Secondus’ tenure as acting chairman of the party ended last week Monday, with the selection of Ali Modu Sheriff as the party’s new national chairman.
In a statement by the party’s national legal adviser, Victor Kwon, the PDP said lamented “the oppressive and unfair treatments against its key leaders by the Federal Government”.
“The party alerts the nation that the arrest and detention of its Deputy National Chairman, Prince Uche Secondus by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) is part of the grand script by the APC-led Federal Government to decimate the opposition,” the party said.
The party said it was also aware of plans to “arrest and detain the Deputy Senate President, Senator Ike Ekweremadu, Senate Minority Leader, Senator Godswill Akpabio and other leaders of the party on imaginary charges”.
“Indeed, intelligence available to the party shows that the Federal Government, using its various agencies, is bent on destroying any opposition to the ruling party as all indications show that the government is more interested in humiliating the PDP than fighting corruption.
“Finally, we state that this war on the PDP and its leaders has indeed gone too far. It has now become a mockery of democratic practice,” the party claimed.
- Governor Ganduje of Kano begs FG to stop migration of herdsmen into Northern Nigeria
- In Ekiti, no more bail or plea bargaining for rape offenders – Governor Fayemi
- Meet the 23 year old gender activist kicking down the patriarchy in Borno
- We must renounce our tribal identities; I’m Nigerian NOT Igbo
- 13-year-old girl drugged and gang-raped in Kaduna
- World Environment Day: environmentalists stress the importance of nature to humans
- Family of Uwaila Umozuwa, 22-year-old raped and murdered allege death threats
- Court reaffirms INEC powers to deregister political parties
- “Gambari was an Abacha man” – Wole Soyinka says Buhari’s Chief of Staff is part of the structure
- Nigeria records 328 new cases of COVID-19, total number infections now 11, 844