Estimated Reading Time: <1
Nigeria’s Mikel Obi alongside retired players Jay Jay Okocha and Kanu Nwankwo are among the top 10 highest earning African players of all time according to a study conducted & published by French publication, Footendirect. With a cumulative take-home of $50 million, John Mikel Obi is now the best paid among the current generation of Nigerian players.
According to Footendirect, Mikel who earns about £75,000 per week at Chelsea has a total earnings estimate of $50m while Kanu Nwankwo and Jay Jay Okocha who have since retired made $100m and $150m respectively from their career. See the full list after the jump.
1. Samuel Eto’o/Antalyaspor : 202 millions de dollars 2. Yaya Touré/Manchester City : 170 millions de dollars 3. Didier Drogba/Montreal : 155 millions de dollars 4. Jay-Jay Okocha : 150 millions de dollars 5. Nwankwo Kanu : 100 millions de dollars 6. Michaël Essien/Panathinaïkos : 70 millions de dollars 7. Emmanuel Adebayor/Libre : 57 millions de dollars 8. Obi Mikel/Chelsea : 50 millions de dollars 9. Kolo Touré/Liverpool : 43 millions de dollars 10. Sulley Muntari/Al-Ittihad : 40 millions de dollars
- Just In: Ibrahim Magu asks IGP for bail
- NEMA warns of flood in 102 local government areas in Nigeria
- “Nigeria’s crude oil production quota has been reduced” – Read Buhari’s complete speech at signing of revised 2020 Appropriation Bill
- Ondo Chief Justice rejects House of Assembly’s move to impeach deputy Governor
- Minister, Godswill Akpabio denies collecting N500m NDDC projects
- Kiki Osinbajo responds to allegations of N800m property ownership
- Breaking: APC Chairman resigns in Ondo, joins PDP
- Buhari appoints Mohammed Umar as acting chairman of the EFCC
- President Buhari signs revised N10.8trn 2020 budget into law
- Social Media Bill and Hate Speech Bill – Drop Them Now!